Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need Help -- Leaky '82 CE Rear Hatch

C

Class_of_82

Hello:

... Taking-on water around the glass hatch - Capt'n.
Does anyone know of a repair kit for a leaky rear hatch of an '82 Collector Edition?

The weather strip has been replaced, but does not stop the leak.
I've tried Chevy Dealers, The Museum Staff, and GM Customer Service for information on a repair kit that I heard about back in '90 or '91, but of course the rear hatch wasn't leaking then.

I'd appreciate it if someone could either;

a) Provide the part number, or repair kit number if you are familar with the problem.

b) Share your repair procedure if you suffered from a similar problem with your '82CE hatch.

Thanks!

Class of 82..... I have the same Cars and Concepts kit in my '81 that is in your 82CE. I too have been looking for either a repair kit or adjustment instructions. But for the few times it developed a leak, I injected black RTV Silicone sealant under the weatherstripping where it was leaking to "thicken" the weatherstip at that location. It has, for the most part worked pretty good. The window will still leak a little in a hard rainstorm but luckily, it leaks into the tray in the rear. Hope this helps a little and welcome to the CAC!!

Regards.......... Nut

Thank-you

Nut:

Thanks for the help. You are right on the money with the water collecting on the rear tray.

I should have followed my instincts in the early 90's and purchased the recommended fix, stuck it on the shelf and waited for the day when I needed it -- Today.

Isn't hind-sight wonderful.

Thanks again.
Regards
D

Indeed it is. I passed on a replacement window seal in Carlisle a couple years ago because I was too lazy to walk up to the ATM and get some more $$$. (I'd forgotten my Visa in my briefcase in the daily driver). So, shame on me. I'm always keeping my eyes open and Carlisle is only a couple months away.

Regards.............. Nut

CE Hatch Gasket.

Class of 82 and Nut,
Since you guys have the rear hatch window setup on your cars, I just want to past a bit of info I found on Ebay this morning.

There is a gasket/weatherseal for the hatch glass 82 CE listed for auction on Ebay.
Item #1835267876. Or type in 82 corvette and hit the search button. It has a "buy it now" option for $205. I don't know how much it is worth, but I figure I would let you guys know about.
:w Sarge

Thanks Sarge81

Sarge81:

Thanks for the ebay lead.

Best Regards

hey guys the reason your hatch leaks, as does mine, is because after years of opening/closing and the stress on them, the hinges get out of wack. Their alignment changes and they get "stretched". If they don't open/close/latch like they used to, you might want to try moving the glass via the hinges. Just my .02

Thanks

82dukman:

Thanks for the reply.

When you made the adjustments on your rear hatch, were metal washers, or some other material required to compensate for the "stretching" of the hindges? If so, what material did you use and what were the sizes, or dimensions?

Regards
Dan

Dukman, The last time I made an adjustment with the hinges I made it darn near impossible to get the hatch open. The alignment is REAL tricky. So since I have it working pretty good now, I've chosen to go with the other fix. I never had adjustment instructions with my kit. It was already in the car when I bought it many years ago. Boy, I'd love to have a copy of some paperwork on how to properly adjust it. Thanks for the info.

Hey Sarge, $205 and counting seems kind of high. I know thew weatherstrip I saw in Carlisle before wasn't near that much. Ah, but then again, it's not the easiest part in the world to find. I saw a complete C&C pop-up window kit on eBay last summer that went for well over $2700, and it also had no instructions.

Later............. Nut

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom