Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need help on value of 71 454, auto

MarkM

Don't yet own my Vette, but visit C2 and C3 sites often to learn. Need some help on value range for a 71 Warbonnet Yellow T-top. I have yet to see the car from closer than a "drive by", but a good friend who was interested has backed out and provided the following. Need your help with price range before I go talk to owner.

1 owner car, numbers match
454 LS6 (might be LS5)
auto
a/c
Frame in excellent condition (body never off). Frame show only light rust
Owner claims car never in rain, always garaged. Headlight actuators still carry most of that gold anodizing color.
Much original paperwork, including service papers for dealer addition of front spoiler and radiator shroud to improve cooling.
Paint is faded and oxidized, a few dings, including small chips on tops
Bonding strips are visible through paint. Appears to be no hit body
Unsure of mileage, but from condition expect it is below 70K
Interior in good condition, just needs clean-up and detail, leather seat covers are replacements. Carpet needs to be replaced.

June issue of CE says an export 71 LS6 vert auto sold for $150K at Mecum Orlando :crazy . I certainly would not pay that much for this car, but know the C3 BBs are rising quickly, and if it is an LS6 it's one of 188. Your opinion on reasonable price range, please.

Also, can oxidized and faded paint like this be restored with my orbital buffer? I am experienced using it on my family cars to remove scratches, etc, but have never taken on a faded car with bonding strips showing. Obviously, I'll take cost of repainting into offer if I make one.

And, Just in case it's an LS5, not LS6, what would be your estimate of change in value.

Thanks to all, I appreciate the education I get on CAC - and the assistance.

MarkM

If your bonding strips are showing your orbital buffer will do you no good. It is going to take a lot of paint prep, stripping, and paint to make it look right. If you want to know what it is worth look at what they are selling for at all the online sites and there are hundreds of them. Then compare that to what it will cost you to make this car right.

If the price is reasonable and you like the car and can afford it, buy it. Do not look at this as an investment you are buying a used car!

Look at the motor.If its an LS6 it will have aluminum heads and will be worth many times what the iron headed LS-5 is worth.I agree with Red 70, dont buy a car for an investment, get it to drive and enjoy.

Thanks Red 70 and Shark,

I'm not looking for an investment, or to turn the car for profit. Can't imaging parting with a car like this if I do buy it. Have not found many (or any) LS6 cars on ebay, etc so still having trouble estimating additional value of that engine, but your comments help.

Thanks for the help on paint condition - now I know to figure in paint costs.

Any idea why I got so few replies? I suspect people think I'm just fishing for a value before I throw a car on ebay.

Either car will be a great car to own.These days any chrome bumper shark are getting hard to find.My fear of buying a real LS-6 would be that its too valuable to drive.I would not pass up the chance to buy the car(unless it has frame rust)Keep us posted if you find anymore info on the car.

MarkM,

1st of all, no LS6's came with A/C.
ANd if it is an LS6 there are a ton of ways to tell, along with the
aluminum heads, the tach. will probably have a 6500 r.p.m.
redline.
ALso if you look at the engine pad which juts out where the
passenger side head bolts on, the engine stamp should say
"CPJ" which denotes 454/365 auto. trans. "CPH" was the
4 speed code.
Of course the A/C could have been added some time also.

Odds of this car being 1 of 188 LS6's.......pretty slim.

It sounds like a decent car, if you don't want it for $15k let
me know, I'm all over it like "hair-on-a-gorilla"....

Good Luck,
Mark B.

Shark,

Thanks again, didn't pick up from black book that AC not available w/LS6. Black Book seems to say that C60 is not available with ZR2 LS6 engine package, but doesn't say C60 was not available if ZR2 package was not ordered along with LS6. How did you know?

Either way, I know now what to look for. With the paint info provided earlier, and cost of a good paint job high, car may be out of reach. I'll be looking it over this weekend, and if it ends up in my garage, I'll post pictures.

MarkM

Mark B,

Thanks, yeah - if he sells it for $15K I'll buy two!! The auction car I mentioned was $150,000 - out of my range for sure.

I have Black Book and will be checking codes - suspect now that car is not LS6, just want to be informed when I go look.

Chevrolet didnt build many cars with solid lifters that could be ordered with AC.The 72 LT-1 is the only one i can think of(im sure there are others)but they came with lower redline tachs to discourage high revs.

Got to see car

Thanks all for your advice and help.

Turns out it's a really nice car, little to no rust, no-hit. Definitely an LS-5, AC, auto, starts and runs strong, AC not cooling. Based on advice that it would be difficult to save the paint job, would have to add $ 6 - 8000 for a new paint job.

Owner wants $35,000. That's too much, especially with new paint needed. I think he knows he's asking too much and was just testing the market. Turns out he has a few other classics parked in a garage - sounds like he bought this one to hold. Says it is now off the market.

Thanks again for the advice.

Mark

Mark,

I currently have two original 1971 LS-6 Corvettes. As others has said, there are many unique items on these cars to distinguish them from LS-5 option or LT-1 option. Factory/Dealership paperwork is by far the best documentation for LS-6 cars. Prices typically are 150K to 195K and climbing.

I am just purchasing a 1971 LS-5, 4spd convertible to resell, if interested. This car is a War Bonnet yellow, Black custom interior, M20, 3:08 ratio, PS, PB, T/T, vinyl covered hardtop & black softtop. Matching drivetrain, very early car, serial # 255. Had Corvette Build sheet on tank, but previous owner said it disentegrated in his hands when removed and tossed it, so no paperwork, orginally sold new in San Francisco area, California. Car needs restoration.

Here's my 71 454 -LS5, WarBonnet Yellow (it's not for sale..) appraised value $32000.00 cdn.
syxt74.jpg

MarkM said:
Thanks all for your advice and help.

Turns out it's a really nice car, little to no rust, no-hit. Definitely an LS-5, AC, auto, starts and runs strong, AC not cooling. Based on advice that it would be difficult to save the paint job, would have to add $ 6 - 8000 for a new paint job.

Owner wants $35,000.

Mark
What a joke!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom