Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need help quick - What is this wire??

Zixxer

Corvette
1982 Red Coupe
I'm replacing my antenna which prompted me to remove the rear wheel and housing. Which by the way is the best thing to do because squeezing my hands up into that area was just cutting my hands all over the place....and the frigging rubber @$)*@)#*@ Anyways, that's going smoothly now but I've notice two wires that end without a connection. Both are clearly grounds as they originate from the ground screw post on the antenna. If you recognize either of these, especially the one on the upper wheel well, please chime in. Everything on the car works but I would sure like to figure this out before reassembly. Thanks in advance.

First picture will be of the left rear wheel well. The protector ground wire ends at a plastic holder and was just taped off. The second picture is a ground wire off the antenna with a plastic clip that makes it seem it needs to be anchored before it connects to the device it should go to.

They are ground plane wires, as a metal body car has the body of the car which acts as a ground plane, these are for a corvette.....

I can send you a couple of scans from a 95 manual showing the grounds, etc.
Is your antenna aftermarket or OEM? My e-mail is roman67844@cs.com

Ok, I think I get it now because I didn't know what a ground plane antenna was. As I understand it, those wires should go in opposite directions and terminate freely. They actually serve as a receptor to the antenna???

Zixxer said:
Ok, I think I get it now because I didn't know what a ground plane antenna was. As I understand it, those wires should go in opposite directions and terminate freely. They actually serve as a receptor to the antenna???

These are not 'ground plane' antennas. Those antenns are mainly deisgned for transmitting not recieving untill you get up into the very very high freq's. The freq's within an AM-FM radio needs no ground plane in order to receive the signal. The design height of the antenna does that, then most unwanted freq's are sent to ground thru the braided wire and other grounds attached to the steel part of your frame. The rest of the unwanted freq's are filtered out inside the radio by 'freq's filters'. The braided strap is mainly used for a lightning arrester, that's why it's so big. What the other wire is, I have no idea.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom