Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need laquer paint

Ol Blue

I need to do some touch up on my Silver 65. Does anyone have a line of where to get laquer paint or is it impossible to find?
Thanks
Ol Blue

Lacquer is almost impossible to find.If you find it it may be out of state and have to be ordered.Its a combination of the government wanting to regulate it if not get rid of it and the paint manufacturers coming out with better products.

Ol Blue said:
I need to do some touch up on my Silver 65. Does anyone have a line of where to get laquer paint or is it impossible to find?
Thanks
Ol Blue
It may depend upon where you live. Here in Cincinnati Ohio I go to anyone of several automotive paint stores and have them mix it. Last time I bought it (2 years ago), it was $150 gal. My point is, it is still manufactured and is not hard to find.

Dave
:beer

Try www.autocolorlibrary.com. I ordered Ermine White acrlic lacquer from them to paint my door jambs. Matched pretty well and they have the original paint chips posted on their site.

Ol blue,
Lacquer is still available, and if not in your area, then the autocolor.com web site is a good place to try. The biggest problem however, is that if your paint is original, then it is quite likely that the paint will not match. On these old metallic colors, the metallic particles have changed over the years, and do not match a lot of times. It is almost impossible to spot paint these old metallic paints even if the match is perfect. You need to be prepared to spray an entire panel in order to get an acceptable job, and even then, it may not match perfectly. The flop of the metallic particles is different between different paint guns and even different pressure setups on the same gun, and even if the metallic particles are eactly the same size and density, and the color match is perfect, you probably still can not spot repair a panel.

Regards, John McGraw

I agree with john.Its probably not original anyway and the urethanes are much more durable.On top of that silver is one of the hardest to blend because it is nothing but mettallic.Usually with todays paints they dont have a mixing formula for older cars so they have to either mix to match or they have alternate mixtures of the closest match that is on a later model car.Its usually best to go with the alternate mixture that way it will be easier to fix later on.As far as spotting in some areas its going to be best to mix to match some paint and blend and clear the entire panel.

Thanks to all for your replies.

Yeah, I agree on the problem of never matching the silver, but I was wanting to "get by" in making it look a little better until I can get the time to completely strip the paint.
I'm doing a body-off restoration of my daughter's 72 LT-1 convert and don't want to get another car down and not driveable right now.
Thanks again
Ol Blue

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom