Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: need new exhaust

n8dogg

Corvette
1979 l-82
time for new exhaust for my 79 vette to many style to choose from :W stainless steel, carbon, or what? Do I need to replace the catalytic on it or can I just leave them out my state does not do inspections and will it hurt to run without them? What do you guys and gals run and why and where is the bust place to purchase the system

I went true duals w/o cats. Magnaflow aluminized, sound is excellent without drone inside the car. Got'em from Corvette Central.

I'd buy a new cat along with the exhaust. I good new high flow cat is less than $200. It's costs very little power and makes a huge difference in emissions.

Scott

It depends on if you're environmentally concious or not. Cats aren't too expensive and since yours is 30 years old, it may be worth replacing while you're under there.

any exhaust shop can hook you up with a system probably cheaper than an out of the box system from a supplier (not knocking those by any means).

Ours is true dual, catless with Flowmaster mufflers done by a local shop. the pipes are aluminized so they are basically corrosion proof and cheaper than stainless. Carbon steel rusts and you'll end up replacing it sooner than later.

It depends on if you're environmentally concious or not. Cats aren't too expensive and since yours is 30 years old, it may be worth replacing while you're under there.

any exhaust shop can hook you up with a system probably cheaper than an out of the box system from a supplier (not knocking those by any means).

Ours is true dual, catless with Flowmaster mufflers done by a local shop. the pipes are aluminized so they are basically corrosion proof and cheaper than stainless. Carbon steel rusts and you'll end up replacing it sooner than later.

I drive my vette 500-750 miles per year. You make more emmisions than me!

I drive my vette 500-750 miles per year. You make more emmisions than me!
Especially after Mexican food :)

It's really a matter if originality is a big deal to you. if you want original style, looks and sound, go with a setup from a corvette vendor but if you want to go with a true dual setup and not have to worry about getting it to fit perfectly, go with a custom setup from a local exhaust shop. Don't skimp on the piping and at a minimum get aluminized pipes as they will not rust. You'll pay more for stainless and the benefits don't outweigh the cost in my opinion. Cats are relatively inexpensive and depending on who does the work, may be a requirement for them to do the work (some shops won't remove a cat without putting one back in its place due to some federal law.

QUESTION: 1982 crossfire exhaust

Want to replace factory exhaust w/ duals (no Cat), any ECM issues w/o Cats?
:beer

Want to replace factory exhaust w/ duals (no Cat), any ECM issues w/o Cats?

No problems- just remember you'll need to have an O2 sensor bung welded up if the set doesn't have a provision for it.

I've run both my TPI swap Vettes with true dual, no cats and an O2 sensor. No issues- runs great. :thumb

Quote*
I went true duals w/o cats. Magnaflow aluminized, sound is excellent without drone inside the car. Got'em from Corvette Central.

I am planning on getting the same setup

I got a Magnaflow system on my 1980 and love it :thumb
80VetteatMagnaflow.jpg

I went true duals w/o cats. Magnaflow aluminized from Corvette Central, sound is perfect without drone inside the car. The car seems to breath better, gained horspower:W.

I have 2-1/2" duals with no cats. Stainless pipes and mufflers. Have been on the car for 23 years and look like new.

If anyone is interested I have a set of near new Flowmsters and fit secondary pipe off our 75. This was setup for stock bolt in. I just listed them in the parts section.

Just put a new exhaust on my 79. Just do what Mike82 said. Go to Corvette Central and get the complete system. I went true dual on mine with the Magnaflows. Sounds fantastic. You'll love it.:beer

reproduction side pipes???

Has anyone installed the reproduction side pipes and fiberglass covers on an 82? I would need to weld an O2 bung....

STW

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom