Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need second opinions

kridgley

Corvette
1975 Corvette, White T-Top
Hello all:
Now that winter is here, I usually try to get something done while I cannot drive. I was thinking long term the past couple of weeks, doing a little homework here and there. Here's is what i eventually want to do:

1. swap out my 2.73's with 3.55's
2. Install a 200R2 or 700R4 (high performance OD tranny), the 3spd auto would hurt me on gas on the highway. **has anyone replaced a TH400 with a 200R4 or 700R4, which is better**
3. then a ZZ383 from GM, seems solid ... est 425hp looks awfuly nice.
better headers to connect to my 2.5'' duals
4. Cosmetic stuff
5. Maybe consider a 6-71 or 8-71 supercharger (this is why the rear was first)
-I think this make for a nice ride ... over time.

-Do these steps make sence, am i missing crucial steps, or wasting time? Your opinions are always valued.

Thankyou, Kevin

Upgrades

Kevin,

I put in a zz4 a while back and though i like it and it was a quick fix for my problem if I had it to do over again and had more time to think about it (I was in a rush) I would probably have just bought a solid block, with maybe crank, rods and pistons at the most, and built up from there. Its pretty easy to make significant HP gains over the zz4 just by adding almost anybody's aftermarket aluminum heads, throw in a solid roller cam with better lift numbers and it would be a screamin' motor. If you can buy just a short block 383 from somebody (like Jasper) w/out cam that's probably what I would get. Then shop for some Brodix, AFR, Canfield or other heads. Go with a solid roller cam. Buy a desktop dyno to run simulations and get hp/tq numbers. I haven't ran the $$ numbers *recently* but I think if you make reasonable selections you won't spend much more than the stock zz383 if you assemble it yourself. You could make a lot more HP/torque though.

Saying you've got a ZZ4 or a ZZ383 under the hood *sounds* cool when your bench racing... Sounds cool 'till the other guy blows your doors off that is.
I'm not knockin' the zz383, I'm sure it's a strong motor. I'm just saying I think you could do better for the money. It really depends on what you want out of it and what you intend to do with it. ... JMHO.

good luck with it...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom