Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need some advice on performance heads and cam.

stevet

Corvette
1989 black c4
I have an 89 coupe and it's smoking some. I want some opinions on buying aftermarket heads or having mine redone and beefed up. Also considering a better cam. Wanna make it fast! lol ........but unfortunately on a budget too.

L98 performance

I have an 89 coupe and it's smoking some. I want some opinions on buying aftermarket heads or having mine redone and beefed up. Also considering a better cam. Wanna make it fast! lol ........but unfortunately on a budget too.

When you say "make it fast", what does that mean? Improved 0-60? 12 second 1/4 mile? 175mph? Are you completely stock now? Defining your goals and where you stand will help others offer better feedback. Unfortunately, the words "fast" and "budget" are often mutually exclusive....

Vetteoz is right on. What 0-60 are you after? Auto 2.59 stock is upper 6s and 3.07 is around 6. Don't forget the basic stuff. Full tune up with delco parts. Replace old injectors wih Bosch IIIs, fuel pump status, replace O2 sensor and make sure you don't have plugged cats. I've seen an L98s with ported intake, open air cleaner, headers with corsa exhaust, and custom eprom reprogrammed chip post low 5 seconds. This is with the stock cam and heads. The intake on TPI 350s is really designed for the 305, so there is room for improvement.

I definitely will consider the 3.07 gears and will put new injectors in it. The biggest question to me is the heads. It needs valve work (smoking some) and I don't know what my best bang for the buck is. New aluminum heads.....or have mine beefed up. I have ci heads now.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom