Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need some opinions on run flats.

bandroadman

Corvette
2000 Torch Red coupe
I am posting this on both forums because both are really excellent sources of information from different people and I'd like you guys' opinions. My 2000 coupe has 30000 miles on the original GY runflats and probably has another 5000 or so. The fronts and backs seem to have about the same life left. This is the wife's car and is not driven hard at all. She is pretty gentle on takeoff but will do the speed limit, whatever it is. I will sometimes goose it on the freeway but am not big on smoking the tires.
I want to stay with runflats of some kind, so non RF's are not one of the options. Here in the Ft. Worth area, snow is not a problem and the car is seldom driven in the rain. Most of her driving is in the city but we do take 500 miles or so trips once in a while. Therefore comfort is more important than handling.

So, I want your opinions with information to back it up. Also any info/impressions about where to purchase, price, and mounting in the Ft. Worth area would be nice too.

One of the many great things about this forum is the information that we are all willing to exchange. Thanks in advance.

Just went through this myself. Back and forth whether to buy runflats or not, which to buy, blah, blah, blah. Spent months thinking and reading about it.
I'll just tell you what I did. I decided I had to have RFT's because of long trips with my wife.

Goodyear's were not an option, I don't have a problem with Goodyear, just don't like their runflats. I know they run 200 miles vs. 50. They are marginal at best in ride quality and bad relative to tire noise. See I do take a few chances.

My opinion on the 4 choices in RFT's;
Goodyear-(I don't like them) $1,222 + install
Michelin-(treadwear? higher price, for what?) $1,212 + install
Yokohama-(treadwear? higher price, for what?) $1,142 + install
Firestone-(least expensive, very good reviews on the forums when compared to other RFT's, regarding ride,noise and treadlife)
$1035 + install

I bought Firehawk RFT's from Big 10 locally with a 4 wheel alignment for $1,243 driveout.

The guys at the store did an excellent job and I was right beside them the whole time. They commented they like it when folks show interest in what they're doing.

Final comments after a couple hundred miles. I'm very satisfied with my purchase. The tire noise is greatly reduced, handling is far superior. The Firehawks are softer feeling and much more nimble as well. Bumpsteer when riding over uneven pavement on the interstate is minimal, with the GY's it was very bad. The Firestones have a rounded tread/sidewall radius that is designed to eliminate bumpsteer. I guess it does work!

If you can tolerate the Goodyears after 30k, you'll love a new set of Stones....

Don't forget to get it aligned properly.

I just got the Michelin PilotSport A/S Zero Pressure installed last week. After 300 miles on them, I'll never go back to the GY's again. The thing rides like a Caddy now (well, a Caddy that'll take a corner at 40).

I got the set for $1142 out the door by making Sears price match with Costco.

I really didn't need All Season tires either in Phoenix, but they don't have the regular pilot sports in runflat anymore.

These tires put out less than 1/2 the noise as the GYs did, and are about 10 times smoother. There's no more bumpsteer either. The last thing I like is that they give you some audiable warning when they're about to break loose. The GYs would just let go all at once. I think they put active handling in the cars just to overcome that flaw. The car is a lot more predicatable now.

Bandroadman--

I can't comment definitively on one type of tire vs. another, as I've only had my Vette for 3+ weeks, and the Firestone Firehawk RFTs are all I've known. However, although I have no experience to compare it to, I will say that I've been impressed so far at the amount of grip these tires have in both wet and dry. Also, they do not seem to me to be overly noisy or of poor ride quality.

The majority of the user comments that I read at TireRack.com pointed toward the Firehawks as being better handling, longer lasting, quieter, and smoother riding than the Goodyear RFTs. Not to mention, as Bugster57 pointed out, the whole set is about $200 cheaper. As with anything, you'll have a variety of opinions about one tire vs. another. Again though, from all the user comments I read through at TireRack.com, as well as some threads here, the _majority_ (not everyone, but simply the majority) seem to think the Firehawks are the best combination of durability, ride quality, handling, and cost.

Hope this helps. Be sure to post your firsthand comparison experience if you happen to go with something other than the Goodyears.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom