Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need some sage advice...

Bagoftrix

Corvette
1990 Bright red coupe
So I'm looking at expanding my collection and purchasing a 1968 hardtop convertible with numbers matching 327/350 4 speed. 116,000 approx. miles, rebuild on the engine(w/o documentation). Beautiful vette... fresh red paint(seller backed vette into pole), clean interior, everything that's supposed to work, works. Award winner at local shows. My question... how do I value this? I'm sure the seller will attempt to place it in the upper echelons of a concours vehicle, but without the documentation on the rebuild and the transmission and rear differential having the miles they have, where do I place this vette? Excellent($60,000), Great($40,000), Good($20,000)..? I'd post pictures, don't know if I can.

So I'm looking at expanding my collection and purchasing a 1968 hardtop convertible with numbers matching 327/350 4 speed. 116,000 approx. miles, rebuild on the engine(w/o documentation). Beautiful vette... fresh red paint(seller backed vette into pole), clean interior, everything that's supposed to work, works. Award winner at local shows. My question... how do I value this? I'm sure the seller will attempt to place it in the upper echelons of a concours vehicle, but without the documentation on the rebuild and the transmission and rear differential having the miles they have, where do I place this vette? Excellent($60,000), Great($40,000), Good($20,000)..? I'd post pictures, don't know if I can.

Honestly, no one on a forum can answer that question, pictures or not, there are way too many variables involved. You will need a professional appraisal done by someone who is certified to do so on that vehicle.

I agree with LLC5, however,you can check to see if its matching numbers, NCRS judged and if so how did it do.if the owner should be more than happy to show you if he's interested in selling it,if he can't answer that it may just be a pretty red Corvette with a rebuilt engine...

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

There are too many variables with a car like that. The prior collision damage hurts if you are thinking of NCRS judging. It would need a close inspection of the repair. An overall good close inspection by someone who is very familiar with this model would be a good idea. Checking numbers is just part of it. There are things that will be obvious to the experienced appraiser that will tell him if the engine is original and also the condition of hidden areas of the car, like the birdcage and frame kick ups. I've seen similar cars sell in the $25,000 to $30,000 range and if they have a red flag pop up on inspection the price drops drastically. I saw a nice looking on TV '68 L79 sell at auction last month that was described as original engine and drive train and a recent repaint and it bid to and sold at $18,500. I was surprised. The paint must have been covering up a lot of sins and who knows what the chassis was like. Then again, the car you are looking at could be a really nice car. No way to tell from here.

Tom

Honestly, no one on a forum can answer that question, pictures or not, there are way too many variables involved. You will need a professional appraisal done by someone who is certified to do so on that vehicle.

I Agree...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom