Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Need to replace radiator

tcxd40

Corvette
(2) Black '93s, purple '81, '69 vintage racer
Need some opinions on whether I should stay with a factory brass rad or change to an aluminium one.
Who has the best rad for the money?
Those who have an alumnium rad, are the stated cooling increase correct?
Car is not original but very clean.

Thanks tcxd40

If your car is operating at the correct OEM temp, why would you change it? If it's not find the root cause and fix that.

Forcing an engine to run cooler than optimum gains nothing.

I've used the copper/brass rads in all my cars. They work well. The aluminum are also very good but 3x the cost. The one thing I noticed on the last copper/brass was the hose nipples were 90* and not a 90* sweep. I had to swap those out for the original nipples and the rad worked fine. I haven't bought one in 4 years so the qc on them may have gotten worse in time as they come over from China. I have a G&O 25 year old brass one that is better then any of what I've seen.

I agree with Mikey but isn't there a weight and heat advantage to an aluminum radiator?

If your car is operating at the correct OEM temp, why would you change it? If it's not find the root cause and fix that.

Forcing an engine to run cooler than optimum gains nothing.

Temp is not the issue, the radiator is shot,it needs to be repalced. I have no issues using a original type brass over Aluminium. Other than they are supposed to be lighter and provide better cooling.

I'll look for more input then make a choice.
tcxd40

I'll probably have mine recored. I don't care about weight.........I have enough weight for the car to carry, a few more pounds won't hurt it. I never had a problem with cooling from the stock radiator so I don't see any reason to pay extra for an aluminum. I'll put that extra money in the engine.

I thought about re-coring, however both the top and bottom areas of the tanks are very soft were the hose inlets are. Not sure if it is just the seem or coroded.

tcxd40

I went to Advance Auto Parts and ordered an 4 row HD radiator for under 300.00. It fit fine without any modification and cools the car great. The original radiator was a 3 row.
Also, removal is somewhat of a challenge, go slow and be careful. The shroud must be rotated to get it out. I followed instructions given on the forum by others who had experience at radiator replacement.
Good Luck
Bill

A good radiator shop can fix, but it is that bad of a shape then replace

Get an aluminum one, they are getting cheaper all the time now. The best advantage with aluminum is probably the weight, they are much lighter, and hence easier to install. I ended up buying a Griffin. Sweet looking radiator!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom