Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New exhaust....complete custom

Topless

Corvette
1992 Convt w/hard top; 2004 Z06 Z16; 1962 327/300
Hi all....
Ok, well after messing with the KBD 3" system that was on my vette when I got it, I took the plunge.

Ok, to give a litle background-
I have having problem with interior noise (resonance). I tried getting a local shop to make me an "x" pipe to replace the baffle box....not a great improvement. only slightly noticeable. I even tried having a balance tube installed. That moved the sound a little to the rear, but only if you really thought about it. So..

Last Wednesday, I picked up my vette from a guy that knows his exhaust.....He started by reworking the exit off the right side cat. It had what appeared to be a factory kink lenghwise. He cut off that and made a 3" exit for the cat (to match the left side). From there back, all new mandrel bent 3"pipe. There is now a real "x" pipe at the very back, just in front of the spare. From that, it goes to the back of the car. No mufflers. (we are looking for some good tips. Since none were found by the time the system was done, I got my car back, and we are still looking for tips)

Now, you might think that this is going to be loud enough to wake the dead, but it is not. It actually is not that bad at idle, and you really can hear it when it opens up.

Now, I did not dyno it before, but I know that it has freed up the engine a lot. Previously, at about 4K rpm, it lost a lot of power from there up. Now, it pulls right past that up to the redline without blinking. Part of this might be the KBD system exited through what looked like the old manza style tips; 3" going in, twin 1" out. That is like running a 5k breathing through a straw.

I will try and get a picture to post soon. If anyone is in the Denver area and wants to hear, let me know.

-Discount Muffler and Brake on Evans did the work. The guy works on a Winston Cup team when not bending pipe in Denver. He knows his stuff-

YES!!!

Pictures would be very helpful.. I would like to see how this looks

i'de like to see pics too and get some more feedback from you regarding how this feels.

My understanding is that an X-Pipe or H-Pipe should be placed as close to the engine as possible.

I've also heard that the best way to find where to put a H or X pipe is by applying some type of heat sensitive material on the exhaust system and starting the car and letting the exhaust warm up. Then where ever the most "wear" occurs on the applied heat sensitve material is where you should place the H or X pipe.

FWIW, my H-Pipe is right behind the tranny pan (700R4)

BTW, how did the Monzda mufflers sound disregarding the resonance issue?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom