Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New K&N Air Cleaner - now Idels Fast?

muskiemike

Corvette
1984 Gunmetal Met
All comments are welcomed.

Just replaced the Air Filter with a K&N, and after driving the car for a few days, I noticed the Idle speed was around 1,000 - 1,100 RPM and before the K&N it was 800 - 900 RPM.

Any ideas as to why this occured and how do I get the Idle back to 800-900 RPM?

I'm unfamiliar with the Crossfire IAC (Idle Air Control) so I can't be of much help in that arena, but I'll bet it is the IAC that is allowing too much air to pass. ;)

_ken :w

reply to Ken

Hi Ken,

Sounds like a good place to take a look . . .

I've searching the Corvette Forum as well - and the posts there seem to elude to the ECM.

I'll keep checking.

Ken, thanks for your reply.

idles fast

Figured it out - the new K&N Air Filter breathes so much better, than the GM Air Filter - that my computer was set to draw more air in when I used the GM Air Filter.

When I changed to the K&N air filter, it idled around 1500, so I disconnected the negative battery terminal for 1.5 hours, re-connected it again, forcing the computer to re-learn the stuff and WALA- runs like a champ!

Perhaps this may help others with a similar problem!

i have a 90 and soon will need an air filter. is it true that a k&n will actually increase hp and perf? thanks joe

jwn4854 said:
i have a 90 and soon will need an air filter. is it true that a k&n will actually increase hp and perf? thanks joe

yes... don't expect any miracles, but K&N will give you a few extra HP, and lasts a lifetime, all you have to do is rinse it out and re oil it every now and then

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom