Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New/Old guy

big2bird

Corvette
1981 Black Coupe
Hey guys.
At the invite of Sensei, I have joined up. I registered the car at L-81 years ago, but have not actively participated in it's forum.
I have had my 81 about 7 years now, and have rebuilt/replaced everything except the gas tank and window glass. It is a Kalifornia car, so I have to retain the 1 year only horrible ECM system, and all the 1 year only smog junk. The cat converter has been changed to a modern, free flowing type.
That being said, I have been there/ done that to virtually the whole car. I have learned a great deal about the car during this time, and am willing to share.
The designed in 1955 front steering /suspension has been upgraded to urethane bushings, heavier sway bar, VBandP tie rods, and 460lb springs.
The light duty Dana44 rear end, good for only 350hp, has been changed to 3.08. I will be changing it once again. VBandP rear spring and rear sway bar, with their "smart struts" and urethane bushings complete the rear. I installed a 1989 Vette 700-R, and will change the gears again to 3.73, maybe even 4.11 soon. The 700-R is set up to lock-up the converter hydrallically, and requires no wiring.
The engine is a "universal crate engine", hecho en mexico, and will remain stock, except for performer intake, and rams horn exhaust. The 81 only headers are a POS. I have also installed a spreader bar on the front, while retaining the stock fan set-up.
The balance of the car is new, and will remain stock. All that remains is new paint as $$ permit. Car is original black on black.:)
81 has it's good points, and alot of bad points/problems. I call em as I see um. It will never attain the $$ and performance levels of the earlier Vettes, and with the present smog laws in Kalifornia, it will stay 180hp.
I am jealous of the guys who are exempt from these laws. If I could, that engine would change out, but that is just wishfull thinking at this point. It is what it is.

Hey guys.... If I could, that engine would change out, but that is just wishfull thinking at this point. It is what it is.

I was a resident in Calif between 1980 and 1994. There used to be an exception that allowed you to install a newer version of the engine (i.e. an LS1 or LT1) together with its associated smog equipment.

Is that still an option?

I was a resident in Calif between 1980 and 1994. There used to be an exception that allowed you to install a newer version of the engine (i.e. an LS1 or LT1) together with its associated smog equipment.

Is that still an option?
Yes. A member of DC just did that and passed. Had to have all smog equipment pertanent to that year engine.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom