Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

new to vettes and needing guidance

douglasnc

Corvette
1997 bright red
Hi all. Just bought this 79 almost basket case. Heater coil is bypassed, Head lights wont raise by themselves ,Tack isn't working and all front end steering parts needed replacing. Spent all day yesterday repairing the door latch. Don't want to do that again soon. lol. Was wondering if anyone could tell me what engine I've got in it. Was sold as a 350cid, but I'm not sure .The only numbers I see on the block (passenger's side lip below head gasket) says 2735.No letters. Engine seems to run pretty good with no smoke for a thirty six year old engine. So I'm wondering if it's been replaced. Need to get that heater coil replaced to have heat. Looks like all but two screws/bolts are on the outside. is this a tough job on this car? I've done a few others that were. Also anyone have a link to the vacuum system for this car? AIR/SMOG pump has been taken off and I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the head lights working or not. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Welcome to CAC!!
Enjoy!!!

All the corvettes in 79 were 350's.the fact that yours doesn't show any letters on the pad indicates it may be
a replacement engine.
The 1st thing you should do is get a factory repair manual,and an Assembly instruction manual(AIM).
these are the bibles to the corvette,and tell you how they were built,and helps with repairing them!!

next heater cores are never easy...
if you do a search through some of the old threads using the search button,you should find what your looking for with the vacuum system.
good luck!!!!`
if you have any more questions just ask.:thumb

Thanks for your replies. Will get the repair manual. Meanwhile I'll search the older threads as you suggested. Need to limp up to the repair shop and get the front end aligned now that I've replaced all the ball joints, tie rod ends and control arm bushings. Will no doubt be bothering you guys a lot as I get into future repairs. It's good to know you're out their for me. Thanks again.

The engine in your car now may/may not be the original, but the factory information normally stamped on the pad is now gone. The fifth character in the VIN will indicate which engine option the car had. 8 means base L48, 4 indicates an L82. If you can find the casting number and date on the rear flange of the block, we can decode further.

Problems with the headlights raising are usually not that big, but many times people use poor trouble shooting techniques in finding the cause leading to a lot of frustration. Each component must be isolated from the system and tested individually for function and leakage. Just guessing and hoping can get expensive. I'm not sure that your car came with an AIR system or not. In any case it would not be the cause of the headlight issue.

Hi Douglasnc, welcome to the C3 Action Center.
Sorry for long delay in my response but I've been out of the grove for a while.
I just got my 81 in June, the first thing I bought was the Corvette Assembly Manual from Corvette America. It shows how everything fits together and I have had a lot of success using it.
Also I have learned that coming to this site for advise will get you some great help from a lot of people who have been in your shoes for a while.
Enjoy!!!

Dale

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom