Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New vette owner has questions

C

cm_5807

I just bought a 1981 coupe, first corvette i've owned. First of all, how do I get under the center console to fix a broken right power window switch? Second, there is a small plaque on the console between the power window switches that reads, "This H.P. Corvette was made especially for (name). #8 of #15" Does anybody know what makes this vette #8 of 15 made in 1981? I've learned from the VIN it was made in B.G, KY. Just for information, it is an extremely clean burgundy with grey interior, original motor with 20,250 miles on it. the guy i bought it from drove it 3,000 miles in the last ten years. any information would greatly be appreciated!

cm_5807 ~ Wlecome to the Corvette Action Center Community ~

cm,

I'll tackle your questions, but it will only be my opinion or thoughts on some of your questions ;)

First of all, how do I get under the center console to fix a broken right power window switch? To me the best way to get to the window switch is to remove the seat from the side of the car that has the bad switch. There are 3 screws (as I recall) that go through the carpet panel. One is kind of a pain to get to with the seat in place, but not impossible, just easier with the seat out. Once you have the side carpet panel off, you'll be able to see the switch and spring clip that holds it in place. If cleaning the contacts doesn't help, I believe you can save yourself a bunch of money by getting one from NAPA or even a Kragens.

Second, there is a small plaque on the console between the power window switches that reads, "This H.P. Corvette was made especially for (name). #8 of #15" Does anybody know what makes this vette #8 of 15 made in 1981? Ok this is where my opinion kicks in ;). There are several things that this can mean, it could be a factory GM excutive's car that had a few extra's added to it, or more likely it is an aftermarket performance add. Some of these were done with turbo's or specialty Corvette Shops like Guldstrand. Can you find any documentation about any modification done? or Can the previous owner shed any light on this.. There may even be a tag somewhere in the engine compartment or somewhere on the car to ID the special add on's.

Also check the "Trim Tag" which is on the driver side door frame on the front below the windshield and above the door light on/off button. It will be a small 1" x 2" aluminum tag with letters and numbers on it.

Any photo's of the modifications would be helpful, e.g. Engine and the plaque you mention.

The name on the Plaque isn't Zora D. is it ??? That would be too good to be true.. but anything is possible ;)

TY

thank you rare81. the name on the plate is "Gene Rutland". I'll fix that switch sunday...........'preciate it........craig

Craig,

My wife's '81 has a plate on the ash tray door that says "Especially Made For Christine Flegal". I'll have to ask her How she got that. I don't remember if it was through GM or some other offer. It's been there since new though. She ordered the car so I guess it's true. I have no idea about the 8 of 15 thing. Was there some option that there were only 15 ordered? I'll post a picture so you can see if the plate is the same style as yours. At work right now.

Tom

Tom,

Many moons ago, there was a company that advertised personal ownership tags. As I recall it was Ecklers, but I'm not sure. Anyway, they offered these ownership tags in 2 or 3 different configurations. I remember seeing them at most the Corvette events back in the late 70's & 80's ;)

Bud

Bud,

I think you hit the nail on the head. Chris said she ordered it out of an ad in one of the Corvette magazines just after she got the car. You could have anything on it up to a certain amount of characters.

Here's what her's looks like:

83Mvc-006s-med.jpg

Tom

chrome plaque.

This plate is in the cut down area under the power window switches and under the parking brake handle. It is chrome. as soon as I get a friend's digital camera, i'll post a picture of it. also, where is the best place to get a new console and right side carpet panel. I found the panel to be broke when i removed it to fix the switch. and the switch works.....it just broke away from the console and sits down under it now....lol. i try to superglue it, but the plastic that the switch's screws go into broke into several pieces. so it looks like if i'm to fix this right, i have to replace the whole console. thank y'all.....craig

Window switch

Craig.... do NOT buy another pwr window switch. They easily fail and can be just as easily fixed for pennies and 30 min or your time. Let me know when you have it out and I can either send you a spare I have and fix yours or tell you how to do it yourself.

Let me know and definitely get a pic of the Trim and Paint tag.

............. Nut (Bob)

a 1991A1 in MD?

Thanks Bob, i have one question for you.... you live in maryland and have a 1991A1 and S&W 915? I thought those were outland in maryland! I carry on duty a 1991A1 commander, have many rugers, both new and old models, one S&W .41Mag. and as soon as S&W sends out their new 1911, will have one of those. When you have a free moment......try www.sixgunner.com. lots of good people and a very clean site. i'll post pictures of this vette when i can get the usp port in my computer. craig

Craig.... owning is not illegal for any hand gun in the Peoples Republic of MD. In Washington, DC yes. It's a pain in the arse to purchase, more so to transport even to a shooting range and a carry permit...... forget about it. One of the last 6 states with extremely restrictive carry laws. You'd darn near have to be a Secret Service Agent to get one (sic). Anyway, I LOVE my Colt. Had it over 10 years now. My oldest son prefers the 915 because his hand is so much larger than mine.

Thanks for asking. Lousy day today. I should go to the range now that you brought the topic up. Thanks :D

later................ Nut

Hi!

This may not answer your question but I thought it was interesting. I just recieved all 6 issues of the 1981 Corvette News (GM publication sent to new owners) I bought on Ebay. It was possible to order console plaques through the magazine. They typically said, "especially prepared for....." or "restored by...." They were very nice with raised lettering and chrome or gold edges. They were $14.50 then. If anyone knows if anyone is currently making repro's of these let me know. STW! Platato:Steer :Steer :Steer

See above picture

Tom posted the exact plaque I am talking about. Wow! You guys are good.

STW! Platato

:BOW

Re: See above picture

platato said:
Wow! You guys are good.
:BOW

Yup. I've noticed that there are several members that seem to have been inside, out, under, and around 'Y' cars for more than a few days, and have a respectable grasp of general engineering concepts. Without intentionally overlooking any of the more experienced members, it seems that "Rare" should be on that list. That's pro'lly why his avatar is Yoda, although I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not. Being characterized as "Older than Yoda" might not be a good thing.... :D

Vader... Thank you for the compliment

I've even been called a few other things, one of our nieghbors says I'm like Mr. Wilson, except they can see my face ;LOL

Being called Yoda doesn't hurt my feeling in the least. If anything I am very humbled by it. I just try to share my experience's , and I've had a few over the last 25 years of Corvette Ownership :J

Yo

Funny and interesting...my car had one of those plates that included "Tim Becker" as a name...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom