Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New wheels on '96 vert (pics)

dmd

Corvette
Supercharged LS6 6-speed Z06 Roadster
Had too many problems with the chrome on my last set so I went back to painted. I had no idea that 'naked' chrome is only suitable for desert-like environments...

Before:

SSPX0084.jpg

After:

The 'before' pic is what they looked like when brand-new, but after driving them a few times in the beginning of the rainy season then parking the car for a few months during the winter, the chrome started pitting, rusting and chipping away by spring. Then I clipped a curb, and their fate of the trashcan was sealed.

The new ones are obviously a lot less flashy, but they do have a deep-dish stainless polished lip I like a lot. Click the image for full-size. They're 17x9.5-18x10.5. on Michelin Pilots.

I like the new wheels, could you send a picture of the rear view looking at the wheels. I am curious about wheel offset inconjunction with the fenders. I notice the front 9.5 looks like the rubber could be a little wider.? Did the 18 inch mess up your speedometer?

I like the new wheels, could you send a picture of the rear view looking at the wheels. I am curious about wheel offset inconjunction with the fenders. I notice the front 9.5 looks like the rubber could be a little wider.? Did the 18 inch mess up your speedometer?
he probably got a lower profile tire,so the outside diameter doesn't change.

Example,i run 19 inch deep dish wheels on my 89, i run 30 series tires,so actually,my 19 rim with a 275-30-19 is 1/4" shorter than the stock 17 rim with the 275-40-17's... make sense?

Thanks guys, they are Morxchns. I'll snap a pic later, but I can tell you that the offset is absolutely perfectly aligned with the rear fender flare. It's a better fit than the stock wheels. The fronts are a bit narrow on these at 245/45/17, but it's because they came from an 8.5" wheel on my C5 and those Michies are so damn expensive that they're going to have to get worn through before I'm replacing them. I'll be going to a 265/35 when that happens and I can't wait because those C5 Z06 calipers can lock them up fairly easily. The rear tires, on the other hand, are a perfect fit at 295/35/18. No effect on the speedo, according the the SMD's I checked it against.

Love the hard top, how well does it fit? any wind noise. I don't know why more C4 owners don't have a hard top for their convertible?

Love the hard top, how well does it fit? any wind noise. I don't know why more C4 owners don't have a hard top for their convertible?

It's great, the wind noise is about the same as a targa. It fits like you'd expect it to, and this is the stiffest a C4 chassis can get, even stiffer than the targa. But I can tell you why more C4 owners don't have one!

Reason 1: Space. The thing is huge, heavy, and awkward. You need space to store it when you're not using it. It's not like the targa top you can just conveniently stow in the trunk.

Reason 2: Cumbersome. Installing it is a bear, and removing it is no picnic either. It takes two people to move it around, seriously, or you'll pay for it the next day (I screwed my back up for two weeks once from removing it myself. Never again). There are 14 (!) bolts, plus the defroster connections, and you need to do them in order or it will rattle, squeak and groan.

Reason 3: Expensive. $2500 option originally, nowadays unless you have a black or red car you'll pay at least half that to get one used. Replacing the weatherstripping will run you a grand just for the rubber. And transporting it off the car? It's difficult to ship it because of the tempered glass, and it's so big you need a pickup truck to move it.

Reason 4: Brackets. Getting a hardtop used, you will rarely if ever get brackets with it. They've been unavailable for a long time, though I hear Corvette Central now has them - but they're not cheap and I wouldn't expect them to be; they're massive pieces that are undoubtedly complex to manufacture.

But if you can deal with all those things, they're awesome. It means you can run at a racetrack without installing a rollbar, which is why I got mine. Sharpens up the handling too, since the steering column doesn't shake over every little bump anymore.

I think these wheels are growing on me fast....I like the 17x11 ZR1 too. If I could find 2 sets of polished aluminum wheels it would be a hard choice. Nice wheels!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom