Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New ZR-1 questions.

thxalot

Corvette
'90 ZR-1. #2907, Red on red.
Hi Folks,

Well, it turns out I bought that red '90 number 2907 I was discussing in the other thread. My pal and I wound up driving it from VA to CA and had a wild, fun-filled four days. Now that she's mine, I have a few questions for you gurus of the "Z".

• What kind of oil filter do you use? Chevy, Fram, etc?
  • My baby has some kind of aftermarket alarm built in, and no key fobs. Did the ZR-1 come with remote door locks in '90?
  • The tach has the orange line at 6500 and redline at 7000. Why does everyone talk about a 7500 redline? When you are really hammering it, where do you shift? Anyone know when the rev limiter kicks in?
  • The two roofs have several pieces of black rubber trim around the edges. This trim is held in place by only double sided foam tape. Many of the pieces have fallen off or are in the process of falling off. Anyone else have this problem? What is the best type of tape to use in reattaching the trim? Do you use any specific cleaners to prep the surface first? Is there any reason not to just leave the trim off?
  • The state of VA requires a couple inspection stickers right in the center of the windshield. Fortunately, CA has no such requirement. I started trying to peal off the stickers, but they have left a bunch of crud on my windscreen (glue and paper). I don't want to damage the laminate, so I haven't used any cleaners or razor blades. What do you recommend for getting gunk off the front window?
  • The chin spoiler has been scraped up a bit. Actually, the center bridge part is completely gone. The sides are still intact though. Anyone know what the part number is for replacing the black plastic part of the chin spoiler?
  • While I've got you experts thinking about part numbers, there are 2 little seat control lenses missing on this car. In the center console, there are seat controls for moving the whole seat forwards+backwards and up+down. Next to that lever, there is supposed to be a little triangular lense that lights up. Both of mine are missing. Does anyone know where/how I can replace them?
  • A previous owner had a cell phone mount installed. They attached a pig tail antenna to the rear glass right next to the center mounted stop light. It looks like the type of antenna that is glued on from both sides and does not damage the glass. Does anyone know how to remove one of these? I'm not too keen on it.
  • Lastly, I am thinking about putting up a little garage/tent for my new baby. Anyone have experience with these little canvas pop-up garages? Any recommendations?
Sorry for such a long list of questions. These are really minor annoyances. In all honesty, the car is in beautiful shape and I am phenomenally excited about my first Vette. Every other car feels slow now!

Thanks for the help and any info.

-Burt

Burt,

Congratulations on the ZR-1. I would imagine that a ZR-1 on the open road, with that much road at that, would bring many :D 's to your face.

As for the oil filter, don't use FRAM, it is absolute junk. Use: Delco, K&N, Purolator Pure One or Mobil 1. And use a good synthetic oil, more specifically Mobil 1 synthetic. You can pick them up from Wal Mart in 5 quart containers for $20, though you'd need more than 5 quarts right?

For that trim, you're talking about the weather stripping right? First, what kind of shape is it in? If it is in good enough shape to keep using; I think 3M tape is the most common. Someone else will chime in on that one.

As for that little garage or tent; I always believed that the proper, good quality car cover will do you good without the additional work of the garage/tent. You may also need a building permit to do a garage/tent, at least we do here in my town.

congrats on you new z where in cali are you?

as for oil don't use fram I was able to go to the local chevy dealer and buy the reat of there blk AC delco filters. you might want to check your local dealer.

As for the redline the car can go to 7500 rpm pretty easy just because it will rev up so fast and is still safe for the motor. peak HP is about 6300 rpm.

those plastic thing on the roofs are always falling off i just don't put them on.
as for the rest I can't help you but i know somone here will .

Please post some pictures of you new beast.

• Most use either K&N or Mobil 1 filters
  • No factory remote door locks in 1990
  • I believe the rev limiter on a stock 90 is set around 7200 RPM, most that have work done up the limiter to around the 7500 mark due to the LT5 still making HP with minor mods at that point.
  • The spoiler kit you speak of is available through most of the major C4 suppliers.
  • I use Xenit from Stoners for removing (safely) alot of sticky stuff. Give it a try.

For sticky residue removal try vinegar. use a paper towel soaked vinegar and let it sit on the residue a few minutes then remove with another paper towel.

Gary

Wow, thanks for the prompt responses guys. I've been swamped at work since I got home to Santa Barbara, and haven't had a chance to wash her. I am planning on doing that this Sunday. I'll get some pictures up at that point.

I have used Fram and Purolator in various cars for years, and never had any engine work done - ever. I have also consistently used Valvoline half synthetic oil, Slick50 every 50k, and periodic fuel injection cleaner. Why all the backlash against Fram?

Thanks for the Vinegar tip, Gary. I am going to try that this evening. Any suggestions on a C4 supplier? Are you talking about sites like Ecklers?

Say, she also has some scrathes on the ashtray door. Any recommendations on how to deal with those?

Thanks again everyone.

Don't know what other cars you've had in the past but any comparisons with them to the ZR-1 can be thrown out the window. :L

There was a study done on FRAM and it's actual filtering area; it was very poor to say the least. Can't reference that but it's somewhere here on the forum. FRAM is also the only oil filter I've read about where they've exploded. :( FRAM, just don't go there! :D

Congrarts on your ZR-1

Mobil oil filter with 9 quarts of oil. and drive the wheels off it

Okay, so I went down to Autozone and wasted a good 45 minutes examining all of the oil filters there. I discovered some interesting facts:
Bosch and STP are identical. Same factories, same tooling, same ID printing - fonts and ink.
The Mobile 1 filter was also made at the same factory, but used some slightly different parts. For example there were more return holes, but at a smaller diameter.
The Fram was clearly different and offered up a totally unique set of flow holes and patterns.
They didn't stock Purolator, and no AC Delco part was listed for my ZR-1, so I passed on that brand.

I wound up getting the STP, and put in Castrol Syntec 10-30 along with a quart of Slick 50. (You gotta have some teflon in your engine, no what I mean!)

I got the goop off the window with soap, water and some elbow grease. Now I'm moving on to the cell phone antenna. Any ideas how to get that epoxy off my rear glass?

Thanks again everyone.

-Burt

Good article, Edmond. You have convinced me to switch to AC Delco. I just ordered a 5 pack of filters from GMpartsdirect.com

Now if I could only figure out the right part number for the triangles on my console next to the seat control lever . . .

thxalot said:
Good article, Edmond. You have convinced me to switch to AC Delco. I just ordered a 5 pack of filters from GMpartsdirect.com

Now if I could only figure out the right part number for the triangles on my console next to the seat control lever . . .

That article is very good; even though I've read it many times, I always come back to it and refer it to other people when oil filter questions pop up.

Have you tried Ecklers for those triangles on the console? Give them a call and see if they can help you. I would think that they're more experienced with Vette's than the dealership parts person. They may not have the lowest price but at the very least; you could get the part number and shop around.

The best oil filters for LT5, in order, IMO, are Mobil 1, K&N Performance Gold, ACDelco Duragard.

A 90 has no keyless entry but it does have a pretty good security system. Scrap the aftermarket alarm. They're more trouble than they're worth and, that yours if fobless may mean it doesn't work, anyway.

The stock redline is 7000 rpm but the engine peaks at 6000 and should be shifted at 6500. Stock and mildly-modified engines loose power after 6500. There is no advantage in changing the rev limit to 7500 rpm.

A great source for part number information and parts purchases is Tom Henry Chevrolet. They can help you with the front spoiler and console lens PNs. Email them at gmparts@nauticom.net or call them at 877 842 4389

Lastly...DO NOT put Slick 50 in an LT5. If you already have it in the engine, change the oil and filter, again. General Motors and most other car companies do not recommend any Teflon oil additives be used in an engine. Also, the LT5 does not need STP Oil Treatment, which is snake oil anyway. Keep in mind that Castrol Syntec is not a true synthetic oil. It is a highly-refined, petroleum-based engine oil. This is not to say it shouldn't be used, but it is to say that Castrol markets that product in a manner that has consumers believing it's a synthetic like Mobil 1, Red Line or Amsoil, which it is not.

Hi Hib,

Thanks for the suggestions. Interesting point on Castrol Syntec. Synthetic oils are a bit of an oxymoron because ALL of the raw materials that go into the chemical synthesis of synthetic oils come from petroleum in the first place. In fact, pretty much every plastic, man made fabric, and most solvents are in some way derived from petroleum.

As I understand it, the difference between oils like Mobile 1 and Castrol are how many intervening steps there are in the refinement process. It is amazing how much of the stuff in our lives comes from black gold! What's even more amazing is that it's still cheap and plentiful enough to burn up when we open those secondaries!

Thanks again for the tips.

-Burt

PS for anyone who cares, the cellphone antenna was simply stuck onto both sides of the rear glass with double-sided foam tape! Came off cleanly with just my fingers.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom