Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Newbie needs help!

C

CorvetteCal

Hi all...I have a 1994 Corvette Supernatural Callaway..383 motor..20,000 miles..I have a couple of questions...

(1) Does anyone know of a qualified mechanic for the Callaway in the Sacramento area? I've called all the corvette repair shops and none knows about Callaway
(2) The problem I'm having...When I accelerate the motor, whether sitting in the garage or on the road, my engine hesitates, then it sounds like it's backfiring through the carb...Then I get a puff of white smoke from the air filter...I don't know whether this would be a timing issue, spark plug, or injectors...Any feedback or ideas?...

You don't need a "qualified mechanic" to work on what essentially is a Gen 2 small-block V8. You need someone who has experience working on 92-96 GM vehicles. He/she must also have disgnostic skills with the same cars.

As to #2, if you do not have experience diagnosing engine controls or engine problems with the 92-96 Corvettes, I'd look for a shop that does.

As for ideas, if the engine spits back at tip-in and the check engine light is not on, I'd first scan the ECM to see if any faults are set with the engine light burned out or not working. If no fault codes are set then I'd start looking at engine mechanical problems.

But, with the scant information posted above, it's tough to do a diagnosis via Internet.

Hib...At present the car is at a GM speciality shop..On Sunday, I took the car to get gas (premium high test) and the car stalled and I had a hard time restarting (15 tries)...This happened 3 times...I dropped the car off at the shop...Mechanic said he thought it could be a fuel or lack of fuel pressure...He changed the fuel pump and flushed the injectors..he said it made a big improvement, but would still pop upon start up...He was going to contact Peter Callaway in Orange County to ask for recommendations...I'm waiting to hear what he found out...Your imput is greatly appreciated. p.s...I asked about replacing plugs and injectors...mechanics reply was he didn't think it was cost-effective or necessary...Waiting impatiently to hear..

Over the summer, my SNAT 425 developed what I thought was an opti spark related miss.

It was a bit funky down low and near idles, wanted to stall. It then became dificult to start, to the point it would not start at all.

I loaded it on a hauler (Thanks Plycar transport www.plycarllc.com)
and sent it to Callaway Cars where they replaced the coil and spark module. Optispark was fine. car runs fine now.

My Chevy dealer might have been able to solve this too, but I am sure I would have bought an optispark inthe process...

LT1 engines have a lot of problems with the coil wire to the coil. I would check that first-It is very easy to inspect and notice a problem.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom