Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

[NEWS] Bristol: John Force Racing final summary

Ken

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1987 Z51 Silver Coupe
From Motorsport.com:

Bristol: John Force Racing final summary

Racing series NHRA
Date 2005-05-01[font=verdana,arial,helvetica]

CASTROL FORDS CAN'T CAPITALIZE ON QUALIFYING SUCCESS

The Team Castrol Fords couldn't capitalize on a 1-2-4 qualifying performance at the rain-plagued fifth annual O'Reilly Thunder Valley Nationals at Bristol Dragway, opening the door to Gary Scelzi, who drove the Oakley Dodge to its first victory of the season and drove himself into contention for the 2005 NHRA POWERade Championship.

Rain washed out all but one of the scheduled qualifying sessions and that ultimately proved the undoing of the Castrol Fords, each of which succumbed to traction problems on race day.

John Force, the defending champion in the Thunder Valley Nationals, was the first to fall, losing to arch rival Cruz Pedregon in the first round when his Castrol GTX Start Up Ford couldn't negotiate the tricky left lane, slowed from its qualifying pace of 4.821 to 7.096 seconds and lost to the Chevrolet Monte Carlo of Cruz Pedregon.

Force was followed to the sidelines by Robert Hight, whose Team Castrol/Automobile Club of Southern California Mustang also was victimized by traction problems against the unsponsored Pontiac of journeyman Jack Wyatt.

In fact, the only member of the team to advance to round two was No. 1 qualifier Eric Medlen who survived a "pedalfest" with veteran Ron Capps to put the Castrol SYNTEC Mustang into round two. Unfortunately, without the choice of lanes, the former high school rodeo champion was all but doomed when he was put in the right lane, one in which he had not made a previous run during the weekend.

"We had a chance to make up some ground and we didn't," Force said. "All we can do is regroup and try to do better at Atlanta."

Despite his troubles, Force remained second in points behind Whit Bazemore, who also was a first round loser on Sunday. Hight fell to fifth place and Medlen climbed to seventh.

Ashley Force, driver of the Castrol/Hot Wheels Top Alcohol Dragster, was ousted in the semifinals of a regiona Lucas Series race at Dallas, Texas.

TEAM CASTROL DETAILS:

JOHN FORCE, 55, Castrol GTX Start Up Ford Mustang

Qualifying position and performance: 3rd at 4.821 seconds, 314.39 mph.
Race results: Lost to Cruz Pedregon.

Notable: Extended his record-shattering qualifying streak to 352 consecutive NHRA tour events.

ERIC MEDLEN, 31, Castrol SYNTEC Ford Mustang

Qualifying position and performance: 1st at 4.806 seconds, 325.22 mph.
Race results: Beat Ron Capps; lost to Jeff Arend.

Notable: Claimed third No. 1 qualifying bonus of his career and first of the 2005 season.

ROBERT HIGHT, 35, Automobile Club of Southern California Ford Mustang

Qualifying position and performance: 2nd at 4.811 seconds, 326.63 mph.
Race results: Lost to Jack Wyatt.

Notable: Qualified in the Top 4 for the sixth consecutive race.

[/font]

I Gots Mine!!!

Reserved seat tickets for Etown in June. BEST part is, I stay 150 yards from the track FREE!!!:lou

Oh, I Will

It's the weekend after I get home from BG. June is gonna ROCK!!! Actually, this whole summer is awesome if the $$$ holds out. Already did 3 weeks in Fla. for bike week, bought the 2nd Harley, going to Michigan in two weeks, BG, The Drags, Carlisle, Bike Week in Wildwood Sept. Need to sell Harley #1 soon, VERY SOON!:W

June is going to rock again this year for those of you who will be in Bowling Green for the Cruisefest, especially for the gearheads.

From Friday through Sunday, June 17-19, 2005, Beech Bend Raceway will once again be the host for the third annual NHRA National Hot Rod Reunion. :lou

I've been to several of the original California Hot Rod Reunions and I heartily recommend it if you love drag racing. You'll get a chance to see restored Gassers, Altereds and Slingshot Dragsters, as well as cars that compete in the current Nostalgia Racing events.

Too cool for school. dude. :cool

I think Force once ran a C4-bodied, Coca-Cola sponsored flop (or was it a 3rd generation Camaro?), and he is the NHRA equivalent of Dale Earnhardt I, but I have to admit that it is fun to see his mega-team get beat in the early-rounds on the rare times it does happen.....
:ugh

Forec was always a GM/Chevy kind-of-guy, until FoMoCo came running with a bucketful of money in the mid-'90s:
does anybody remember his 'flamed' all-conquering '94 Lumina?
:confused

My girlfriend and I have spent a few afternoons at the races with Chuck Worsham's 2-car team, with drivers Del Worsham, and Phil Burkart Jr., and crew, who've treated us like royalty

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom