Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

[NEWS] Corvettes 'qualify' 1-2 on competition debut

Ken

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1987 Z51 Silver Coupe
From Crash.net:

Corvettes 'qualify' 1-2 on competition debut

FRIDAY 18TH MARCH 2005

130085.jpg
Oliver Gavin / Olivier Beretta / Jan Magnussen - Corvette C6-R

Corvette Racing's new C6.Rs will start their first race from the top two spots in the fiercely-contested GT1 class, after proving fastest before qualifying at the season-opening Sebring 12 Hours.

When heavy rain compelled American Le Mans Series officials to cancel the planned timed session, the two Corvette crews were able to fall back on their Wednesday practice times, and were seeded at the top of the GT1 category, ahead of the likes of Aston Martin, Maserati and Saleen.

The GM marque is aiming for a fourth straight victory in America's classic endurance event, and was given the best possible start when British driver Oliver Gavin turned in the fastest lap in GT1 - and eighth overall - during the practice sessions. Gavin clocked 1min 57.347secs in the #4 Compuware-backed car that he shares with Olivier Beretta and Jan Magnussen, edging out the #3 sister car of Johnny O'Connell, Ron Fellows and Max Papis.

"All of the drivers have been equal throughout the week, so it was just good fortune that I was in the car at the right time," Gavin admitted, "I think all three of us could have done a time to be on the pole. This is an important year for Corvette Racing and the C6.R, and we're facing tough competition. Starting the ball rolling with a pole is a good start.

"There was a little more performance to come if we had qualified, but I think everybody had something in reserve. The competition from our team-mates in the #3 would have been strong, and we were geared up to see where we all stood."

Gavin was happy with the organisers' decision to abandon qualifying, and would have stuck by his decision even if the #4 Corvette hadn't headed the class.

"Nobody ran this afternoon as it was just too wet and too dangerous," he admitted, "I went out for practice this morning and couldn't even get out of third gear up the front straight. The maximum speed I hit was 94mph instead of the usual 160, because it was so wet and slippery. Sebring is very bumpy and, consequently, there's a lot of standing water in the dips and hollows, so you aquaplane everywhere. I was slipping and sliding all round the track, so I did three laps, came in and parked it.

Fellows concurred with the decision to cancel qualifying after the morning practice was held in a downpour.

"In terms of safety, it was the right call," the Canadian veteran said, "With lightning in the area, you have to think of the safety of the track workers. From a driver's standpoint, there was so much standing water on the course that you had virtually no control in spots."

The Corvette team had managed to complete three days of practice in dry conditions before the rain arrived, which will stand it in good stead for the race, when forecasts suggest that fair weather to return.

"We looked at the weather situation and focused on doing a quasi-qualifying run in the second practice session in anticipation of the qualifying session being rained out," programme manager Doug Fehan revealed, having apparently stolen a march on many of his rivals, "We got in good laps with both cars, and we're very satisfied with their performance. The years of development we put into the C5-R have been rolled into the C6.R, so we've not seen any reliability issues."

Gavin agreed that things had pretty much gone to plan so far.

"Sebring race week is always quite frustrating, as you have been here, tested, and gone away thinking you know how the car feels," he explained, "Then everything changes in race week. The track is very slippery, but you have to keep telling yourself it will get better and not to chase the set up too much.

“We have concentrated on getting everyone comfortable in the car and making the correct tyre selection, and then you just have to make sure you do the best possible in practice and qualifying to ensure you start up at the sharp end."

"We're surprised at the change in the grip level since we tested here last month," confirmed engineering manager Steve Wesoloski, "It's apparent when you look at the lap times in the other classes that the track is different. The key to the race will be to manage our tyre strategy and make the right call on when to change compounds to suit the conditions and track temperature. This track will abuse a car, and twelve hours is a long race to run here."

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom