Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

No, seriously: What to buy???

ZRNone

I haven't had a 'Vette since my '86, but it's time again. I love the look and size of the C5s, and am pretty well set on a coupe with AT so the old lady can drive it too. Given a nominal $20k budget, what's the BEST Corvette to fit my criteria, and why?

Nobody in the Corvettes For Sale forum has an opinion about which is the best year for the C5???
I'm not entirely sure I believe that...:stirpot

Well, generally they say buy the newest/lowest mile one you can find/afford. There were changes in the C5's throughout the run. The early versions (97-00 IIRC) use a different BCM which are no longer available (as I understand). This goes back quite a few years and was, in part, the reason I bought my 2001.

Remember, the newest C5 is 12 years old and as they age, things become harder find if they break.

My 01 was an automatic coupe that we loved and the man I sold it to loves it as well. I bought it with 66K on the clock and sold it 5 years later with almost 100K. The last year we owned it we took it on a two week, 4400 mile trip to California and back. It was a great road car and we had plenty of room for luggage. We averaged 27mpg for the entire trip. Not too bad for a car capable of 170mph. Most of the trip was driven on interstate highways and at speeds of 75-85 for most of those miles.

I would encourage you to look at the later model years, but if you find an earlier year that you like, don't completely discount it.

^
|
What he said!
:w

I think the C5s got better every year - for what that's worth. My 03 was a much better car than my 98, in every way.

I would recommend purchasing the latest model, best condition C5 that fits your budget. Lowest mileage can be a good value, but not always. I have seen a lot of low mileage vehicles that I would not even consider buying. Buyer beware, have it checked out by someone who knows them before the purchase if possible. Good luck and enjoy. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom