Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

No Spark

Rob79er

The newly rebuilt engine is on a stand and has never been fired before so I am just checking for spark now before that first start. I plan on running it on the stand before putting it in the car. I dont want to crank it until I know that it has spark.

Just trying to set static timing without using the starter. I have connected a 12 gauge wire to the Bat terminal from the + terminal on the battery. I used a jumper cable from the - terminal on the battery and connected the other end to the block
When I removed the distributor out of the block and grounded it and then rotated it, I got spark.
When I installed the distributor again and tried to get spark the same way it was a NO GO....Not sure what the problem here is....

Assume your distributor is large cap, coil-in-cap GM HEI.

You say you connect battery neg to block ... with dist in block ... No fire.

You say you took dist out and grounded it ... spun it ... Got fire.

Exactly how was dist grounded when out of block? ... Laid up against block? ... or jumpered a wire from base to battery's neg?

Maybe the distributor gasket & grease on distributor gear is preventing its base from making a good connection to block ... do you have the dist base clamp tightened down ?...that clamp should ground dist base to block. Dunno?

I'm shooting in the dark here ... and don't and can't really see why this might be needed ... but ... how about try to connect alligator clips between distributor base and block?
JACK:gap
-EDIT- I recall you got a new dist from autozone many months ago. Shall we assume that same dist is one you are having a problem with now? ... and that same dist had been running in your motor sometime since you bought it?

When I got spark I had connected the disti. to the negative on the battery.
I cleaned the disti. hold down bracket and disti base as well.
I don't have a disti. gasket installed at the moment.
I have a polished intake as well.
not sure what else to try...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom