Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

No Start... Nothing.

codediamond

Corvette
1987 Red
When i turn key to start, nothing happens no noise or nothing. Ive replaced battery,starter,solenoid,and ignition switch, its a 1987 vette, dash lites up and every thing works just wont crank and if i jump across solinoid it cranks, has anyone ever seen this before? I dont know what else to do... If anyone knows what it is, or even has an idea please let me know. Thanks :)

When i turn key to start, nothing happens no noise or nothing. Ive replaced battery,starter,solenoid,and ignition switch, its a 1987 vette, dash lites up and every thing works just wont crank and if i jump across solinoid it cranks, has anyone ever seen this before? I dont know what else to do... If anyone knows what it is, or even has an idea please let me know. Thanks :)
The VATS security system MAY be doing this, BUT it can also be the ign switch on the steering collumn base, OR the starter solenoid is going bad.

turn the key to start,,, does the security lite flash?? if not, its likely starter solenoid or ign circuit.

VATS takes out starter
If the resistor in the key can not be read then the VATS module will not operate starter enable relay (got a 2nd key to try?). Clean contacts in ign that read resistor
Have to wait 5 min between trying because VATS locks system down if wrong / no resistor seen.

Could be faulty P/N - clutch safety switch .Try bypassing that

Could be faulty starter enable relay.
Try bypassing the relay to see if that is at fault
Need a DVM to follow power through starter circuit from ign switch until it disappears

Starter-1.jpg

Try bypassing the starter enable relay to see if that is at fault

starterrelay.jpg

I havent done anything yet but I just wanted to note that the security lite does flash... I was wondering if that security light had anything to do with it? If it flashes what do I need to do to fix it? Im going to go bypass the starter enable relay. Ill let you know how it goes when Im done.
Thank you guys for your help I really appreciate it! Im going crazy driving the honda and not the vette!

my starter enable relay has two yellow wires coming out which are hot when i crank the key. then it has 1 thick and 1 thin green and white wire. When I ground the thin wire and crank the car at the same time the starter will turn but the car wont start... Could this be the security system shutting everything down and not letting it start? anyone know how I can fix it?

Automatic trans or manual?

Automatic must be in P or N...

Manual, you MUST depress the clutch pedal to be able to start...

When I ground the thin wire and crank the car at the same time the starter will turn but the car wont start...
Under those conditions you would suspect the VATS module is not reading the key correctly or the VATS module is faulty.
VATS shuts down starter and fuel injectors

Automatic must be in P or N...

Manual, you MUST depress the clutch pedal to be able to start...
If it cranks with the enable relay bypassed ( or activated by grounding as he has done )
then his safety switch must be working correctly

Ok then, the starter turns and the engine won´t start...
Does that mean the engine turns over, or...?
If starter turns, but not the engine, then it would be the starter relay not engaging to the flywheel, or am I wrong here.?
Checked fuel pressure on the rail?
Any fault codes from the SES light flashing?

Just trying to help...

Took it into the dealer. It was the ignition coulumn thing that reads the key. (or the thing in the ignition that reads the code in the key.) had to get a new one with new keys and have it re programmed. 600 dollars later it starts fine.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom