Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

No start solved!!! Vats and another problem together. Thanks to everyone here for the help!!!

starbuck

Corvette
yellow 1995 coupe
First of all thanks to the many members here who helped with this problem (s)

With the help of some friends we eliminated what we could from the possibilities list and narrowed it down to the key-reader in the ignition.
We pulled the steering wheel and related items in the column (fun) and found the culprit.
the little white wire on one of the key reading pickups was broken.
The constant minor tugging on that wire whenever the steering wheel was moved over 17 years and 170k miles just flexed it enough to eventually break.

Soldered it up after thoroughly cleaning the contacts, put the steering column back together and went to fire it up...Nothing!

let it go for the night and came back at it in the morning.
Pulled out the old Excalibur aftermarket alarm control box and the car fired up and ran perfectly.

So apparently the aftermarket alarm was not sending the signal to allow the starter relay to work and the broken wire in the VATS would not let the car keep running when we jumped the starter and it fired up.

It all makes me appreciate the simplicity of my 1967 MGB GT :)

After 3 long days chasing this mystery with the help of two good friends, we (mostly they) brought the car back to life and I drove it around the block for the first time since In what seems like forever.

Reminds me of why I own a Corvette in the first place!

Thanks to everybody here who helped.

And now the new problems with the ABS and ASR system lights coming on...
:)

Last edited:
ABS/ASR codes. Occassionally my ABS light will come on and what I do is take the car to a deserted road. Run up to 50 or 60 and jump into the brakes until the ABS works. That usually produces a pulseing of the wheel and the sensor is forced to pulse and loosen any dirt or rust that is causing it to hang up. I usually have to do this a couple of times a year.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom