Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Non roots supercharger for Carbs...im thinking about it.

vetteKID

Corvette
74 L-48 coupe & 85 454 coupe
ok, I want to have a plan for the future of my vette. I was thinking that I would spend 4 grand and have my L-48 rebuilt, but I just saw the Vortech Universal supercharger for carbureted applications, I was very intrigued by it. MY plans would be to get this system, a new carb and a new high raise hood. costing me around $4000 total (rough estimate) for the set up. I'm guessin I should get about 100hp out of the deal, but my question is what am I missing, would I need a new bottom end? cam? manifold? any body done this in a vette?

First you need to get the engine rebuilt, or replaced, since your comment about considering a rebuild would lead me to believe that your engine isn't exactly brand-spankin'-new.

Then you could add a supercharger.

Putting a forced induction system on an engine which isn't in pretty good condition can lead to failure.

However, for the same price, you could buy a GM Performance Parts crate engine, with zero miles and a warranty, and likely have similar or better power than a L48 with supercharger would get you.

I'm a big fan of forced induction, and if you were shooting for 600+hp, I'd say go for it (after getting an engine that would take it), but your ~300hp goal, a naturally-aspirated engine is a better choice. GM has several crate engines in the 350hp range that should work well for you. And you can put your original engine in a crate, in case you ever sell the car to someone who wants it back how it was.

Joe

see the thing is my engine really isnt in bad shape, it has only 50,000 miles on it, runs fine, doesnt smoke and starts everytime, so a rebuild wouldnt take place for awhile. and i really love the supercharger sound, thats why i was thinking supercharger before rebuild.

vettekid:
Since you don't need a rebuild anytime soon ... drive it & enjoy. Joe's advice is good. In the meantime ... find yourself a rebuildable core motor ... rebuild it yourself & learn along the way. For well under $4000 total you can rebuild yourself & upgrade to make about 400 very reliable & streetable hp. Jeez, $200 worth of cast flat tops, decent cam-lifters, valve springs & distributor curve kit'll get you an easy 75-100 more hp. Successful supercharging requires both a matched cam and a STOUT bottom.
There are more than a few here that will help you with your questions as you rebuild/upgrade. Not counting myself ... There's a bunch of folks here that know a lot.
JACK:gap

Despite the mileage, the engine is 30 years old, and the L48's internals are not as sturdy as the L82's, in most (maybe all - I'm not certain) years.

For less than the cost of a supercharger, you can have greater power (you won't be able to push much power on those old internals), and greater reliability. If you really want gear noise, perhaps a gear-drive timing chain replacement will fit your desires.

Actually, was just reading this article in Hot Rod. 396hp and 440lb-ft for $1600. I'm seriously considering duplicating this engine. Or maybe the fourth stage, with 421hp and 448lb-ft, still coming in under $2000.

I'll probably buy a second block to upgrade, so I can keep my stock engine in a crate for when I sell the car.

Of course, you may decide that you really just want to do the supercharger, and that's all right, too. I just think you can get more power and reliability, for less money. Plus, after you smoke some hopped-up Honda, you can tell him that you built the engine, and watch his eyes bug out :) ... you don't get the same sort of bragging rights, with bolt-on parts.

Joe

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom