Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Noobie here...

99mallett

Corvette
'99 Red Coupe, '01 White Vert, '64 Red Vert
Hi, I'm new to the CAC Forum. Been hanging around the other ones for quite a while (don't hold it against me, please), and looking for a change of pace.
My wife and I are serious Corvette enthusiasts, and very active in the local Club.
My wife has a 2001 Speedway White Convertible that has been customized as a tribute to Breast Cancer Survivors (she is a 10 year survivor), with a custom white interior and several other mods.
I have a '99 Coupe with a Mallett 396 conversion, and a restored '64 convertible.

Here's a teaser pic....

IMG_1432.jpg

Teaser - Welcome to the :CAC

When ya get some time, show us the rest of your rockets! :w

:lou
Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

I thought you'd never ask! :upthumbs

Here's my '99. It is currently undergoing some additional mods to the original mods. I am changing the chrome 18" Mallett wheels to some WCC 964EXT wheels with black centers (19/20's). I am also putting in new seat covers and painting the center console & dash. Should be done in a few weeks.

DSC_01432.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_3579.jpg

DSC_0109.jpg

I post up the others in a little while....:D

Beautiful cars! Welcome...

Elaine

Welcome!!! :beer
Great collection of Vettes!!!!!!!!!!!

Well again, Welcome ! and plese tell your wife she is in my prays and I wish both of you a long and happy life. This is a truly great place for any Corvette owner. :beer

That's awesome. More specs on the Mallet conversion, please.:D

That's awesome. More specs on the Mallet conversion, please.:D

Sunday night is "Forum Night" for me. Nothing good on the toob, and a good opportunity to sit and chat it up...

Mallett does several neat conversions. I guess it's like everything...you get what you pay for. The work he did on mine was essentially the 396 conversion, but not exactly. First, the car was too old to get a VIN assigned to it, so I did a little cherry picking on the work done (like excluding the interior treatment).
The engine got a custom ported head, piston and cam package, (compression ratio is now 11.5:1) flow ported LS6 intake, long tube headers, an upgraded throttle body, and a custom computer tuning. It retains the stock bore & stroke.
I already had a B&B exhaust, so I deleted that from the package, and added some high flow cats (not part of the package).
The real difference that I noticed immediately was the work done to the suspension. He added Penske gas shocks (which lowered it considerably) and upgraded sway bars.
The automatic transmission got massaged, and the rear got changed to 3.42 (also not in the package, but added).
I also added the Mallett 18" wheels (chrome) with Michelins.
I also got the trademark Mallett hood (by MCM). There was a LOT of serious discussion about that hood... You can only get the hood with the registered VIN package, but since mine was not eligible for registration, he did not want to include it. I insisted on the hood as I considered that one of the most important appearance pieces of the package. I ended up sweet-talking him into doing the hood, and my car is the only C5 without the registered VIN that he put that hood on.
The engine was dyno tuned and showed at 475 hp (crank).
A few years later, I had a custom ported FAST LSX intake and an upgraded computer program put in by him. It added almost 25hp. The car now registers just over 388hp at the rear wheels, and with a 22% loss for automatic, that puts it at just under 500hp.
I love the car. It handles great, and has just the right amount of power (for me).
It still gets 25mpg on the highway, and I regularly argue with people who think I'm lying about it.

Those are some nice mods you have there!

I'm sure the 3.42's with all that power really has you going through rear tires like crazy. :L

Those are some nice mods you have there!

I'm sure the 3.42's with all that power really has you going through rear tires like crazy. :L

I don't know, does a $1600 set of Michelin Pilot Sports normally last just 17,000 miles? :eyerole

Okay, anyone want to hear about my wife's '01 and the story behind the Breast Cancer Survivor tribute?
It's a little long, but there's lots of pics :D.

I'm probably more proud of this one than my '99. Probably because I did a lot of the work myself, and it turned out great. She kicks butt at the car shows, and everyone gets a big kick out of the theme.

It's a rhetorical question, of course...you know I'm gonna post it...

I gotta go take a shower, but I'll post it up when I'm back.

Okay, all squeeky clean :D.

As said before, my wife is a 10 year Breast Cancer survivor. She's active in all sorts of local and national organizations, and travels annually to lobby for government support. We are also very active with the local Corvette Club, and at a show a few years ago, she expressed an iterest in having a Corvette of her own.
I searched around, and found a car I thought she'd like...a rare triple white '92 (it was one of only about 700 produced in this combination) that was in showroom condition (30K miles), and presented it to her for her 50th birthday. She loved the car, especially the white interior, and enjoyed driving and showing it. It was a nice, rare car, but I just had the urge to do something "special" for her and had been formulating a design in my head for a truly unique car that she could use to promote awareness and have fun driving. I was reluctant to mod a rare, low mileage C4, and I thought she'd enjoy driving a C5 more anyway.
I found a supposedly "nice" Speedway White '01 convertible (with white top) with 40K at a dealer 200 miles away. Well, the gray interior was trash and it had some other external cosmetic issues. I beat the guy up pretty hard on the price citing the poor condition (I was planning on gutting it anyway), and got it.
I totally gutted the gray interior. Put in black carpet, painted the center console, dash and door panels white to match the exterior. I pulled the gauges and put white faces in. Mid America Motorworks made custom white armrest & seat covers, with a pink ribbon enbroidered on each, and recovered the seats (added heaters, too). I cleaned up the engine compartment with white and chrome covers, put Weld wheels on it, and repainted it. I had some pink pinstripes put on the body and engine covers, installed clear lights all around, and voila...done.

Before....
DSC_0362.jpg

Gutted...
DSC_0371.jpg

Gauge console redone...
IMG_0216.jpg

door panels, dash & console going in...
IMG_0422.jpg

Center console with seat heater controls installed...
IMG_0419.jpg

Gauges & dash installed...
IMG_0413.jpg

Seats are in...it's gettin' there...
IMG_0469.jpg

Now for the engine compartment...
a4b90a67.jpg

Some pinstripes...
c3e8f03b.jpg

IMG_0821.jpg

Some unique clear tail lights...
cb01e265.jpg

Some wheels...
1ee860b5.jpg

And a smile...
c5580220.jpg

Beautiful

That is one very nice looking Corvette. Congratulations and Best wishes.

I agree!! That is one of the best looking moded Vettes I have seen!! Almost makes me wish I was a female so I could have one like it!! :bash

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom