Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Not quite new owner update

Khalilj

Corvette
2001 mag red coupe
I posted about six weeks ago as "New Owner Question about Rims". After some good advice, I ended up purchasing some used OEM 2002 rims for my 2001 mag red six-speed coupe. I also put Michelin ps runflats on the rims, and now have about 1,000 miles in the seat of my new ride, purchased with 53k on the odometer. I'm loving every mile, and volunteering to run every errand that gets me out of the house. So here's the update:
- Installed the travel buddy double cup holder, which is easy in/easy out and provides all the room needed for me and my wife (it's positioned on the passenger side so has no impact on my driving space).
- Installed the trunk divider which seems to help with the noise and definitely makes the spacious rear even more functional. It seems like it is part of the original setup.
- Purchased the CAGS eliminator after trying to work within the system for several hundred miles. A minor annoyance has been eliminated for a relatively small cost.
- After trying to live with the original head unit, with rigged iPhone and Bluetooth solutions, I purchased and had installed the Kenwood Echelon KDC - X695. It is much better on all fronts, in my opinion, with better tuner reception, easy iPhone connection with hands-free operation and with the usb port, almost limitless mp3 options. The original Bose speaker and amp system seem significantly better with the Kenwood head unit. I had an issue with the unit's phone book, due to the 4,000 contacts on my iPhone. The unit would attempt to download the contacts, and then fail after about ten minutes, each time I connected. After an unhelpful response from Kenwood support, I found that the iPhone had a setting that allowed me to select which group of contacts to sync with the head unit. Problem solved.
-Added a holder for the iPhone that attaches to the air vent. I tried a couple of other solutions, but this is the cat's meow for me. It's a universal holder, the Grip-iT Pro series, available for under $20. Very sturdy, adjustable and convenient.
- Had a 35% tint installed, using the Suntek Carbon product. It's only been on a few days, but so far so good.
I'm putting it on the road tomorrow for a run from Atlanta to Orlando. I'm looking forward to seeing how everything comes together over the 7-8 hour drive. Normally I would fly, since it's a business trip, but I couldn't resist the opportunity to roll.
My only remaining issue is wind noise from the B-pillar on the driver's side. I've tried the silicone grease without much success. I've noticed that a couple of the pushpins are loose, but not sure if that makes any difference. Any pointers would be much appreciated. In the meantime, I guess I'll just have to keep that new sound system cranked up just a tad.
Thanks again for all the welcomes from my original post and hope to see some of you on the road one day. Happy Holidays to all.

Have a great road trip. Sounds like fun.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom