Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

O-Ringed 454 - Hope Not a Mistake

fine69

Corvette
'69 Convertible Vette; '72 Z28 Camaro Rally Sport
Well I went ahead and took the plunge to start the long process of building the big block for an eventual swap.

I learned from the posts in CAC, that the 427 and 454 have essentially the same block. I was able to find`a brand new NOS 427 forged steel crank (still in the box), and also a standard bore 454 block. The last three #s of the casting are "445".

So here's where I need some feedback... In my haste, I did not notice that the description clearly stated that the block had been "o-ringed". Apparently, this is some type of machine work to help an engine withstand very high compression and other things such as a supercharger, nitrous, etc... which is not the my intent.

I hope this does not present too many problems. I spoke with my machine shop and they think that it SHOULD be okay, but some mods will need to be made ($$ I'm sure).

Any thoughts? Did I make a costly mistake?

BTW, this project started out as simply wanting to install pair of headers! Now I will am replacing the all the suspension, steering, radiator, and the small block! My wife refers to my car as "the other woman..."

Thanks all...

That's a '75-'87 truck block, and someone has started to prep it for blower duty; the heads for an O-ring block require very costly and precise machining to match, expensive copper O-rings, special gaskets, etc. I'd find another block.
:beer

JohnZ said:
That's a '75-'87 truck block, and someone has started to prep it for blower duty; the heads for an O-ring block require very costly and precise machining to match, expensive copper O-rings, special gaskets, etc. I'd find another block.
:beer
not to get into he said she said with john all you need is the correct sized copper wire to put into the groove and check to make sure the head gasket you use matches up with the where wire is installed. some block have been machined for special fel pro "O" ring head gaskets so i would ask the person that did the work what the orignal type of "O" ring was to be used.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom