Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

O2 sensor and exhaust leaks

B

billv

I have heard conflicting things concerning exhaust leaks near O2 sensor sucking oxygen to throw off readings. I'm having problems with my 90 (see earlier post L98 runs bad in closed loop). I have headers, and the exhaust has a few small leaks where the pipes are clamped. Is this enough to make it backfire and run terrible when it goes into closed loop? I will probably replace the sensor with a heater sensor. What car should I get one for? I read that the ECM uses input from all the sensors except the O2 sensor and the Temp sensor in open loop, then uses feedback from the O2 sensor after it goes closed. If this is true, them all my other sensors must be ok, leaving the O2 sensor. I just got an ALDL cable th use Datamaster, will try it tommorrow.

I don't know about the exhaust leaks. Are you talking about where the front Y bolts to the exhaust manifolds? If so then maybe. If you are thinking the O2 is bad, they are relatively cheap to purchase.

I have haeader and and x pipe, and the clamps on the w pipe aren't sealing 100%. Will any GM heated sensor work to replace the 1 wire?

An exhaust leak will cause the O2 sensors to go whacky. If the leak is upstream from the sensors then raw air is being sucked into the exhaust and the sensor sees it as a lean condition so it tells the ECM to add more fuel. The backfiring is caused by unburned fuel igniting in the exhaust, which the ECM mistakenly added due to the input from the O2 sensors.

:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom