Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oddball Electronic Ignition?

68vertible

Corvette
1968 Roadster, '93 40th coupe, '07 coupe
I just bought a 68 convertible with a 327-300 original motor. There have been various changes made from stock including an Edelbrock manifold, Holley carb, Accel coil...pretty normal stuff. Except the ignition system. The points in the distributor have been replaced with what appears to be a magnetic pickup and is wired to a box on the firewall that says HAYS on it. I've never heard of a HAYS ignition system, and the only company with that name today is the MR Gasket company clutch/pressure plate entity.

Does anybody know anything about this system? I don't have the engine running yet, so I don't even know if it still works. I guess I'm looking for insight on quality/reliability/performance of this system, and perhaps a decision on keeping it (if it works) or throwing it out for a new system (possibly HEI) without even bothering with the Hays setup. Thoughts????

I don't know if HAYS is still in business or not, but they manufactured add-on electronic ignitions in the 70's and perhaps as early as the late 60's. Find a mid-70's Hot Rod or Car Craft magazine and you will find their advertisements. They may have lasted into the 80's, I am just not sure. The market for electronic ignition systems seemed to get flooded in the 80's and I don't remember seeing them advertise after that time period.
My first Corvette, a '73, was fitted with a HAYS ignition when I bought it. I had problems with it twice and didn't wait for the third strike. Reverted the car to a point ignition and it did fine from then on. Still got the HAYS in a box somewhere in my stash of 'Vette parts.

Mike

MMM said:
I don't know if HAYS is still in business or not, but they manufactured add-on electronic ignitions in the 70's and perhaps as early as the late 60's. Find a mid-70's Hot Rod or Car Craft magazine and you will find their advertisements. They may have lasted into the 80's, I am just not sure. The market for electronic ignition systems seemed to get flooded in the 80's and I don't remember seeing them advertise after that time period.
My first Corvette, a '73, was fitted with a HAYS ignition when I bought it. I had problems with it twice and didn't wait for the third strike. Reverted the car to a point ignition and it did fine from then on. Still got the HAYS in a box somewhere in my stash of 'Vette parts.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. I hate to go messin' with something if it aint broke. But since I don't know for sure, I'm thinking I'll either go back to points or go HEI. Since I'm not stock at this point, staying original will probably take a back seat to reliability and performance. It's hard to beat points for reliability, but HEI doesn't burn, pit and get out of adjustment. Anyway, thanks for the info on your Hays box.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom