Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

odometer

vetahlk

Corvette
YELLOW 2002/RED 1/18TH C6 COUPE
I'm close to buying a 93. I don't have the vin yet to run a carfax, but I was wondering how hard it is for someone to roll back the odometer on the didgital dash?:confused

Buddy of mine brought a comment like that up a few months ago about a local dealership possibly rolling back odometer's.

Is it possible? I'm quite sure it is, they do make these cars afterall.

I guess you'll have to wait and get that VIN to run it and use your common sense when dealing with mileage. But you also have to remember that there are a lot of low mileage Vette's out there. My barber has an 84' that only has 33K on it.

IN A 93

The CCM has the milage stored on a chip...
But not the one you sub like the hypertech.

When you buy a new CCM it has to be programed with that data....

Possible...but not easy.

Vig!

Looked at the 93 this morning and struck a deal. It is a super car!
The current owner drove it down from northern Michigan for me to look at this weekend. However, the odometer reads 12,053 and not the approx 34,000 it's owner says it has on it. The owner has been very upfront about the car during the several weeks we have been trying to get together. He is the the best friend of one of my long time employees. That's how I found out about the car, so I honestly don't think he would try to mess with me. He said that the odometer just started reading incorrectly recently and he can't figure out the problem and suggested I take it to the dealer to have it checked out. Any ideas? By the way carfax checked out, it only showed the salvage title and the states re-inspection of the car. I take delivery in the A.M.

Salvage?

Why was it a salvage car???????

And the odometer will be correct IF the speedo works.

Vig!

will the odometer be correct if a new dash was put in it, when they fixed the car from salvage... could have been a flood vehicle with electrical problems... I know OBDII stores the miles (funny story about a guy with a leased '97 that had an odometer re-set to 965 miles every time you would start the car... he drove the car all over, then took it in.... the new dash read over 30k miles..)
but I thought '93 and earlier didn't store the miles in the computer

And who's to say that the rolling odometer couldn't malfunction?

Vettelt193 said:
will the odometer be correct if a new dash was put in it, when they fixed the car from salvage... could have been a flood vehicle with electrical problems... I know OBDII stores the miles (funny story about a guy with a leased '97 that had an odometer re-set to 965 miles every time you would start the car... he drove the car all over, then took it in.... the new dash read over 30k miles..)
but I thought '93 and earlier didn't store the miles in the computer

For C4's 1990-1996 odometer mileage was stored in the CCM. The only way I know of is to have the Dealer reprogramm a new one. From what I under stand the progreamming is a one time shot and must be completed before 100 miles is put on the CCM. When this programming is done it also sets the Dome light Delay, Delayed Accessory Bus and such.

It is very possible that the CCM in the car you found is from another car of the same year. I believe there is a way using a tech1A or Tech 2 to read the VIN in the CCM. If it is reprogrammed for your car or original the VIN of the CCM and the Car will match

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom