Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Officially: My Car is Now a Senior Citizen

JonM

Corvette
84 Coupe
:eyerole

attachment.php
..​

You can get those at 20 years in ct? I was going to get 'em for mine but in NY I can't get historical plates for it until it's 26th year.

Steve Calvin said:
You can get those at 20 years in ct? I was going to get 'em for mine but in NY I can't get historical plates for it until it's 26th year.

They changed the law this year...its the only way I could get out of paying their exorbadent estimated value of 12,000.00 dollars ...which comes to about 450.00 dollars a year property taxes. Now with these plates they can only tax me on 500.00 dollars, or about 18.00 dollars a year. I offered to pay tax on 6000.00, but they refused...so now they get 18 dollars. I.D.I.O.T.'s at town hall...its scary

JonM said:
You are suppose to restrict driving to shows and parades...but its never inforced around here...I'll just tell them I am a one man band, and this is my padade. ;)

:L

Yeah that is kind of the same way I am with my Trans Am. Most people stop and look at the vette or the TA, good enough for a parade right

JonM said:
You are suppose to restrict driving to shows and parades...but its never inforced around here...I'll just tell them I am a one man band, and this is my padade. ;)

In Illinois we have what is called an Antique Vehicle plate. I have AV plates on my 1936 GMC streetrod.
Besides shows and parades, the plate restriction also allows the vehicle to be driven for service and for demonstration (I guess for a test drive if someone is interested in buying). That at least gives some leeway for more reasons (excuse) to get it out once in a while.
It is handy to have a good friend who owns a shop. I have a standing appointment for service.
Living in a small town lends itself to loosened enforcement.

In Texas you can put license plates from the year your car was born but they really don't have an antique plate like they used to have in Ga. where I came from.

Cost me 15.00 every year with Texas DOT and then 50.00 from county to register....bought the tags off e-bay, painted them up, submitted the paperwork and off I went. Kind of neat to have tags from the year , just pi$$e$ me off I have to put the front one on too!

I bought an original 1936 Illinois plate off of ebay from a guy in Butte, Montana for the truck. I was told that you can use it on the front as long as the regular current plate is displayed also - like on the dash or some place visible. Don't know if that's actually true.
The '36 plate looks kinda' neat at car shows.

And in Illinois, not all counties require emissions testing. :D Though I currently reside in one that does, that won't be for very long... :D

My car is in the process of being reborn. When I'm through with it, it'll be better than it was when it rolled off the line at Boling Green, KY.

Texas Antique Plates

Texas does offer and antique palte...heres the skinny
Antique plates are issued for passenger cars, trucks, or motorcycles that are at least 25 years old and are a collector’s item. The vehicle must be used exclusively for exhibitions, club activities, parades, or other functions of public interest. Vehicles displaying Antique license plates may not be used for regular transportation; however, the vehicle may be driven to and from a location for routine maintenance. The vehicle may not carry advertising.

The annual fee is $50.30

As for the front plate...about 75% of the vettes you see don't have them...but it is ticketable...ususally only bothered by State troopers.. locals dont mess with it much.

Mine didnt come with one when I bought it...and as far as i know has never worn one.

Papa :w

Beautiful resto, do you have to put the plates on the front if they are old ones?

Blackened said:
Beautiful resto, do you have to put the plates on the front if they are old ones?

We are suppose to use one on the front, but I think cops don't bother us unless they pull us over for something else or give them an attitude. Then it is just something else they will pile on. Plus their is a cop here in town that owns a Corvette, and he does't use a front plate. :D

JonM said:
They changed the law this year...its the only way I could get out of paying their exorbadent estimated value of 12,000.00 dollars ...which comes to about 450.00 dollars a year property taxes. Now with these plates they can only tax me on 500.00 dollars, or about 18.00 dollars a year. I offered to pay tax on 6000.00, but they refused...so now they get 18 dollars. I.D.I.O.T.'s at town hall...its scary
I sure am glad Florida is not a personal property state. It's $48.50 a year on my '92.

Me too?

Hey Jon --

I also have an 84 in Connecticut. It looks like about 90 beans to change the plate. Is it just your town's rules about the tax value limit or is it a state wide thing? Anything to beat the tax man!

lifeguard_bss said:
Hey Jon --

I also have an 84 in Connecticut. It looks like about 90 beans to change the plate. Is it just your town's rules about the tax value limit or is it a state wide thing? Anything to beat the tax man!

It is a state law...DMV LINK Itcost me 42 dollars to switch over...this is because I had recently reregistered it in June...also if you happen to have the old blue and white plates, you can run them. You just need to put the antique plates inside the car to show any cop that asks.

Where is CT?

Thanks! I checked with my town assessor's office and it is the same deal that you have. OK, it's not TONS of money but any day you beat the tax man is a great day! I am up in Tolland.

YOU DA MAN! Thanks for the tip!

I'm also a Florida resident. You paid tax on the car when you bought it, now you have to pay tax on the car to keep it! Unbelievable. PS, we don't have a state income tax either, but our home insurance is a killer. Know how to prepare a Corvette for a hurricane evacuation when you leave it behind? Remove the ignition coil and hide it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom