Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oh, and by the way, Jamie McMurray won

Corvette
2012 💯 4LT GS Roadster
16c59nq.jpg

TALLADEGA, Ala. – “Dude! Seriously?”

That was Sprint Cup Series points leader Jimmie Johnson’s reaction when he met his crew chief, Chad Knaus, in the garage area of Talladega Superspeedway following Sunday’s race.

Johnson had run in the back of the field the entire race, only to finish sixth through a bizarre set of circumstances that ended with Jamie McMurray’s unlikely victory over Kasey Kahne. The outcome snapped an 86-race winless streak dating to 2007.

Johnson’s reaction at his luck – running up a 184-point margin over Mark Martin with just three races remaining – could have easily applied to all of the chaos that enveloped Sunday’s race.

There were rule changes outlined by NASCAR's Mike Helton two hours prior to the race that barred bump-drafting in the corners.

Seriously?

Three Chase drivers trying to prevent Johnson from winning a NASCAR-record fourth consecutive title – Martin, Jeff Gordon and Juan Pablo Montoya – all ran out of gas and wrecked in the final five laps.

Seriously?

And one race removed from a scary end in the April Talladega when Ryan Newman and Carl Edwards were involved in a wreck that sent Edwards’ car into the retaining fence, another car got airborne as Newman’s car flipped end-over-end.

Seriously?

When the dust settled – Newman actually wiped dust from his uniform when he was finally extricated from his car – McMurray was there to collect the trophy, if not the attention.

“It’s been a long time since I’ve won and I want to assure every fan out there that I appreciate this as much as anybody. So, thanks to all my fans who have stuck with me,” McMurray said in Victory Lane.

“I just can’t believe it’s here again.”

Believe it.

Although McMurray is not in the Chase for the Sprint Cup, his win could, at this point in his career, prove just as important as a championship run.

With three weeks remaining in the season, McMurray remains without a ride for the 2010 season. His victory – the third of his Cup career – should certainly help his cause.

"My years here have been good. The performance certainly hasn’t been what I expected coming (to Roush Fenway Racing), and almost making the Chase my first few years in Cup,” McMurray said.

“Coming over here, I thought that it would be kind of a sure bet, and it just hasn’t been as good as what it needed to be.

"Certainly, I’ll miss being a part of this organization, but you never know.”

Without referring to specific teams, McMurray said the choices were limited for next season.

“Everybody knows what rides there are out there and, certainly, if a sponsor were to call me, that would make it a lot easier,” he said.

“For me, I just hope that we can get it signed and then announce it whenever they want to so that will make it a little bit easier to sleep at night.”

In recent weeks, McMurray’s name has been most prominently linked to the opening with Earnhardt-Ganassi Racing’s No. 1 Chevrolet, which is being vacated by Martin Truex Jr. at season’s end.

A cloud of uncertainty fell over the race before it even started when Helton laid out some new ground rules prohibiting bump-drafting – two cars locking bumpers to increase speed and pass opponents – in all four turns.

Helton said penalties for infractions would be harsh, including the denial of a race victory should the race winner be determined to have used the technique on the last lap.

As it turned out, no penalties were issued in the race.

However, there were complaints from fans who believed drivers overly cautious of the new rule were not particularly eager to mix it up on the track.

"We have sort of out-engineered this race track somehow. You know what I mean?” said Dale Earnhardt Jr., who led nine laps and finished 11th.

“We over-engineered and the technology has sort of passed what they were trying to accomplish here when they built this place.”

Added Elliott Sadler: “I think NASCAR and all the drivers should sit in a private room, lock the doors and have a discussion and try to fix this together.”

Oh, and by the way, Jamie McMurray won | www.thatsracin.com

It's funny how drivers that never win anywhere else can win at Talladega and Daytona. I am glad McMurry won though. I wish Mark could have rolled and won but!;shrug

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom