Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oil capacity of a '78 L48

Stallion

Corvette
1996 CE LT4
I'm going to get everything that I need to change the oil. I need to know how much oil I will need to get to change the oil.

By the way, I'm going with a K&N oil filter, and Mobil synthetic oil.

Thanks!

Stallion

Your '78' needs 5 quarts total including the filter.
Remember to change oil every 3 months or 3,000 miles, this will get very pricey with a K&N filter if you change the filter at every oil change. If you change the filter every other oil change, remember, there's dirty oil in the filter which defeats the purpose an oil change! Gary.

But isn't K&N the best? It would be hard for me to give her less than perfect. :(

Thanks! 5 quarts it is. :D

Stallion

But isn't K&N the best?

I'm sure K&N is the best, if you drive it long & hard.
But, from a cost standpoint, changing it every 3,000 miles can get expensive.
:cool
Gary.

On my cars with Mobil 1 I change the oil every 5,000 miles. Have gone up to 8K and feel could easly go 10 to 15K but.......so try to change at 5K. Of course mine are not driven hard. If yours are facing heavy duty use (towing, stop/go city, daily racing, etc) you may need to change more often.

tom...

An L48, if it uses the PF25 or equiv., takes 4.5qts total. If you use the, larger, PF35/PF1218 sytle, it takes 5qts, total.

The two best oil filters on the market right now are the Mobil 1 and the K&N Performance Gold. Unfortunately, neither are inexpensive.

The idea that you need to change oil in an engine that sees normal duty cycles every 3000 miles is a myth propagated by the "quick lube" oil change industry. It's a waste of money, effort and can even be harmful to the environment, depending on how your manage your drain oil.

The oil change interval on an L48 is 7500 miles. There is no reason to change it sooner than that, especially with today's modern engine oils. Where there can be a long-term durability benefit is changing the filter at half that. That is, use the long type filter (PF35/PF1218) and change it every 3750 miles.

The only time oil change interval of a pre 97 Corvette needs to be less than that is if the engine sees a frequent starts-without-warm-up (ie: "short trips") or frequent operation in a dusty environment. If the engine is used in those duty-cycles, the oil and filter change interval is 3000 miles.

Many people scoff at the idea, but it was raised here briefly in another post to this thread so, here goes: if you use a good quality synthetic oil, such as Red Line or Mobil 1 10W30, you can use an extended drain interval. I run my Corvettes 10,000 miles or one year and I run my daily drivers 16,000 miles or two years using Red Line 10W30. I've used this interval sched. for nearly a decade. I backup my oil changes with spectorgraphic oil analysis every time and, provided you use a good synthetic oil and change the filter every 3000-4000 miles, the results are excellent.

Well, I'm not going to wait 3k miles, because that would be a long time until I change it again. She isn't driven hard. I take care of her. :D

I ended up getting a K&N oil filter. I'm going to get the synthetic Mobil oil, too. Just haven't gotten that yet.

I did get a FRAM air filter though. The K&N are really expensive, and I'm sure this FRAM is fine for her. :D

Thanks!

Stallion

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom