Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oil change issues

Vettepirate

Corvette
2002 Blue z06
Not the typical questions here.

Im just being frustrated by the oil plug which seems to be stuck really tight. Does anyone know what number wrench i need to take it out? I even tried using vise-grips and it wouldnt budge! I cant use a socket wrench because theres no room between the plug and the frame just behind it. I also dont know which way to turn it, since i fear it might be one of those freak bolts that requires you to turn clockwise to unscrew it. Since i dont have a hoist, and i refuse to pay a ridiculous amount for an oil change, Im bent on doing this on my own.

Im afraid that ill strip the bolt to shreds if i try the grips again, the bolt isn't doing that well right now but im hoping the right size wrench might do the trick, i just have to find it first and apparently we dont have the one i need. After that, ill use the magnetic plug i bought and ill leave it loose enough so i dont need a hammer and a 2 foot lever to take it out the next time around.

Who thought an oil change would be so complicated.. then again im sure having a hoist at my disposal would solve a lot of problems. As i dont have one, the elbow grease is being put to use... hell sometimes a job like this is way more satisfying when youre done anyways :upthumbs

I'm not sure what wrench size the plug is but if you will look at the magnetic plug it will tell you if it is a clock or counter clock thread. A small pipe wrench might work better than vice-grip. By design it grips harder the more force is applied. Good luck.

15mm 6-pt box wrench

"Left loosey, righty tighty" :D

Well, i used a 15mm to no avail, the nut is too damaged by now. Went CCW, no luck. I could get it off with some really tight grips or other methods, but i dont have the clearance under the car for the necessary leverage.

Im taking it to my mechanic and hopefully he doesnt say "this thing is toast, youll need to have it removed" or similar statement.

Ill be sure to supervise and make sure they dont tighten it to ungodly levels.

Ah well, I did what i could with what i thought was the right equipment. It wont happen next time... hopefully :L

Looks like you need some of those bob villa damaged nut removers and a nice long pipe. Been there done that.

I had a similar problem with a 15 mm bolt on the calipers on my Mustang. Either way you should buy a new plug.

I believe the oil pan is aluminum. Make sure the threads in it haven't been stripped when you're done.

Where was it serviced last? Do you suppose they actually used an air tool to tighten the plug? :mad

Job is done. Vise grips on really tight did the job. My tech commented that it was on too tight.

I could swear they used some kind of pneumatic device to screw it on, there is no way a person could bolt it that tight without shredding it in the process.

I had a magnetic plug that i had meant to install, but obviously had to wait for the appropriate time for an oil change; this one is on loose enough to spare me future problems - old one now rests in a tin garbage can.

Incidentally my car started complaining about oil levels just as I left for the tech, so the trip was worth it, and i also went around and under the car to check for rust and such, the tech said everything looked good.

All in all i would think that the trip was worth it, ill exercise more caution with all manner of bolts the next time they are encountered.

Thanks for the replies, as usual the CAC crowd is quite helpful.:upthumbs

Here's a suggestion whenever anyone encounters a bolt that has been installed too tightly. Invert an aerosol can of compressed gas(air) that you'd use to dust off your computer keyboard. Direct the spray at the area you want loosened. The cold temperature usually will cause the metal to contract. This has helped me on numerous occasions with other projects. Just my .02

Different Angle

Here's another suggestion. Take it to the dealer. Add up your time (including running to Walmart to buy your Mobil 1 and filter). Try to put some value around your personal safety while on manuvers under your car. Then factor in the convenience of just driving over to the dealer and letting them do the work while you observe.

Remo:cool

Here's another suggestion. Take it to the dealer. Add up your time (including running to Walmart to buy your Mobil 1 and filter). Try to put some value around your personal safety while on manuvers under your car. Then factor in the convenience of just driving over to the dealer and letting them do the work while you observe.

no friggin way :W
if you have no mechanical ability, get a friend to help who does have experience :beer

I do have mechanical ability - im just not a Corvette mechanic :L

The only reason i took it to the tech was because i was afraid that if i stripped the bolt too badly, they could never take it off.

The compressed air can also makes a lot of sense, ill keep that in mind the next time around :upthumbs

An oil change is a good way to spend quality time with your car!

no friggin way :W
if you have no mechanical ability, get a friend to help who does have experience :beer

Actually I have two degrees in Mechanical Engineering. My career has been designing and building complex mechanical/electrical manufacturing equipment. So a simple oil change is something I could probably deal with. Maybe at my age I've become a little jaded on the subject of oil changes. And believe my friend I'm way past the need for those zen moments with my vette via an oil change.

All I'm sugggesting is there might be alternative to ones time and safety. It's just an alternative idea. By all means do your own thing. I'm sure nobody can change the oil on your car better than you.

With all the new advancements to these newer cars the only repairs I can personally do are change oil, plugs, brake pads, clean air filter, replace fuses, polish and vacuum the dang car. Doing any of these things is "quiet time" for me. It's relaxing to just take my time, waiting for the oil to drain and drinking a few bottles of water. When it's all done and everything is cleaned up the feeling of accomplishment is worth it. In my youth I used to rebuild my motors for more HP but anything dealing with the internals nowadays I'll leave for a trained mechanic.

Hey Remo every comment about oil changes aren't directly aimed at you! Most of us enjoy the interaction with our cars after all the subject is open to all in C5 General. I just have a BA in Speech so I couldn't possibly understand!;shrug

Hey Remo every comment about oil changes aren't directly aimed at you! Most of us enjoy the interaction with our cars after all the subject is open to all in C5 General. I just have a BA in Speech so I couldn't possibly understand!;shrug

Jim - I could be wrong, but I thought VETTEX2's remark suggesting I seek help help from someone mechanically inclined was pretty much aimed directly at me. How do you read it?;shrug

I think that he was making a general comment for those not so mechanically inclined and not so much directly taking a shot at you! But we'd have to ask him!:m

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom