Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oil filters

E

exbanker

I've had the car almost 3000 miles and ready for an oil change. I've seen numerous posts on type and brand of oil, Mobil One seems to be the choice. But I havn't seen any recommendations on filters. I live where it is hot and sometimes dusty and want to give the best protection I can. I see the K&N filters and Mobil 1 filters advertised for $10.00 - $14.00 in Mid America etc., do I need to spend this much?

I use K&N. Figured that since I'm using their air filters, may as well use the oil filters too. ;)

_ken :w

most gearheads i talk to use purolator filters. i've heard horror stories from fram filters although i've never had a problem. i use fram HP (high pressure) filters these filters are made to run from 60 psi to over 120 psi for racing applications and since my vette averages 65 psi i figured i'd use them since i've already had 6 handy (stocked them up when i was a parts store manager ;)) they work fine for me so far.

Fram

Have ran their products for a long while..never a problem.

Vig!

No Fram!

Do a quick search on filter comparison and you will find that Fram does not fare well against others and may actually be detrimental to your Vette's health!

Personally, I like Purolator's too, but have used K & N when they are available. They are a little harder to find around here.

By the way, good topic!

I have also had and heard bad things about the fram. I had one leak around the no-slip coat they put on the end. Don't know how or why but it leaked. I use the mobil 1 filter. Never had any problems. I order them online directly from mobil.

i didn't know that K&N made an oil filter. i haven't ever seen them before, so.
i use a high volume oil filter, as my stroker and HV oil pump keep the pressure tacked out (my pressure gauge only reads up to 80, i need a new one to register the pressures i get)
i'm not excatly sure. but i believe the brand is Wick.
i don't know any other brands that make a high volume that fit. maybe one of these guys do. but i definitely recommend it. it holds an unimaginable amount of oil. it's about 8 inches tall i think. and i've had absolutly no problem since i've put it on. before, i had a regular AC Delco. the one that their book said to use on my '77 350. well with the wonderful heat my stroker yields and the high pressures. the seal shredded after 2 weeks. i was pulling into my driveway and oil was spraying violently over the once beautiful concrete. the entire 5 quarts had drained in about 1/3 of a mile. i warn against ACDelco if you have any engine mods whatsoever. i was somehow spared a horrible tragedy by not being far from home when it happened. it could have been worse.

high volume is what i like

Thanks for the input. For those of you interested, you can order K&N filters on line @ www.ajusa.com for $9.95. Best part, no shipping, no tax. Gotta love the internet.

The best oil filter in the business *was* the ACDelco Ultraguard Gold.The Ultraguard Gold was an example of what big development dollars can do. It had outstanding filtering ability very low resistance to flow and excellent bypass characteristics.

Unfortunately ACD did not have success marketing this product so, other than the UPF44, which fits LS1/LS6, the Ultraguard line was discontinued about six months ago.

My latest research shows there are still some WDs around the country that have remaining stock of some Ultraguards. UPF1218 fits many small-blocks and big-blocks. 92 and up LT1s take the UPF52.. If you can find any of these filters, buy them. Best thing to do is locate a friendly GM dealer or ACDelco auto parts retailer and see if they can find a WD with some stock.

I think the next best is the K&N Performance Gold. It is not actually made by K&N, but "private-labeled" for K&N by a major mfg. of filters. It's pretty good from a filtering and restriction standpoint.

I've heard good things about the Mobil 1 filter except for it's cost.

The standard ACDelco Duraguard filter is not bad.

As some on this thread have already said, some of the Fram products leave a little to be desired.

I kept track of my oil changes because I too was interested in which filter performed the best on my car.

Overall, I prefer the Mobil1, then K&N. The Mobil1 seemed to hold up just a bit better, plus the fact that I used Mobil1 fully-synth probably makes for a happy filter. The K&N comes a very close second place. I use the K&N in my daily driver because it has the 1" bolt head on the end of the filter which is pretty much a necessity due to the location and accessibility of the filter.

The K&N are available at Advance Auto Parts (Sears), whereas the Mobil1 are available at...at....ummm...DOH! now I forget...sorry! (AutoZone maybe...) :eyerole

The problem with Fram as far as I know was in their construction. They had a tendency to blow up even if you were using the high-pressure type. Again, just what I heard (or saw on a forum somewhere).

The other one mentioned is "Wix" by the way, and it is a good choice from what I hear too. ;)

I've used Fram filters for about 30 years with no problems but after reading this thread I'm now wondering if that's the right thing. Can someone point me in the direction where you are getting your information? I did a search on "oil filters" and didn't find anything concerning comparing filters. I've only done 2 oil changes on my Vette but I want to make sure I'm using a good filter. I figured anything would be better than the Walmart one the moron who owned the car before me had used.

Thanks for all the help.

I use A/C Delco oil filters on the Vette, although I have read that K&N and Mobile 1 oil filters are very good also.

I will concur on the Fram filters as well - I had read an independent study somewhere (wish I could remember exactly where) in regard to oil filters. K&N, Mobile 1, and A/C Delco all faired very well....Fram didn't. :(

Years ago Fram was a quality filter manufacturer. Now their standard filter (the radioactive-orange cans) is one of the worst out there. These filters are manufactured by Allied Signal, Inc. Please do not buy these filters. By boycotting it, we may be able to cause some change. I have personally had one if these filters fail and actually cause engine damage due to bits of paper and glue floating around in the engine.

For more, go HERE. ;)

Autozone has the mobil 1 filters... They run a special (it seems like every other month) for a Mobil 1 oil change... I think it is 24.99 for 5 quarts and a mobil 1 filter.... not too bad, but you still have to do it yourself... BTW, a Mobil 1 filter from autozone is around 8 bucks

Gee...glad I don't use AC-DELCO or Fram...

I'll just stay with good ole Mobile 1 thank you...

I use Mobil 1 filter and synthetic oil. I stopped using the Fram because I felt the construction of the filter case was somewhat fragile. It surprised me because when I would change the filter and clamp on with the wrench, the filter would crumple up!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom