Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oil leak in oil filter area?

malc350

Corvette
1996 LT-4 Z51 CE
Anyone had a problem with an oil leak in this area? Lately my car has been blowing a bit of oil smoke when it's been running for a while.

Finding the source has driven me mad as I originally thought it was the oil lines which I replaced. Then a rocker cover gasket which I discovered was "pinched" by the cover so I sorted that and it doesn't leak now. Recently I replaced the intake gasket (horrible job :( ) and a couple of days ago, the distributor gasket again as I thought oil was leaking from (maybe :confused ) these areas?

Anyway today I noticed my oil filter was covered in oil and probably the reason I don'r always notice the oil smoke is because it's only noticable when a bit of oil drips onto the exhaust (I know the filter isn't directly above the exhaust but maybe some oil gets sprayed onto the pipe?)

I found the filter wasn't completely tight so I tightened it more with a strap and it stayed dry while I let the car tick over for ages. Thought I had cured it until I went out tonight and I noticed the filter was covered in oil again when I got home :confused )

The lines that go into the adapter above the oil filter seem tight so I'm wndering if maybe I could have a faulty oil filter or maybe the filter gasket has got damaged.

I'm gonna get a new filter tomorrow but I've always noticed this area has been quite oily. Is there some sort of Callaway related problem or issue I should be looking for?

Cheers for your help.

Malc350,
I don’t know if you have checked but above the adapter that the lines go into that hold the oil filter there is a gasket between the block and adapter. That is the next thing that I would check. Also check the fittings to make sure they are not cross threaded and I would put Teflon tape on them.
Hope this helps.

If that fails there is an aditive you put in the oil that when you shine a black light will glow and you will see exactly where it is coming from. I had a similar problem and that is what my mechanic did. I believed it turned to be a Callaway hose which feeds oil to the sump tank. It has pressure clamps which needed to be tightened.

Good Luck,

Luigi
:cool

Sounds like it could be a loose oil cooler. Happened on my 85. Drop the oil filter and make sure the nut holding the cooler is nice and tight. :beer

Redmanf1 said:
Malc350,
I don’t know if you have checked but above the adapter that the lines go into that hold the oil filter there is a gasket between the block and adapter. That is the next thing that I would check. Also check the fittings to make sure they are not cross threaded and I would put Teflon tape on them.
Hope this helps.
Yup, had that happen to a Tahoe I had. An engine that does not have an cooler adapter also has a gasket behind the oil filter mount.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom