Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

oil leak on 94

DC/NH

Corvette
94 Polo Green 6 Speed Coupe
When I replaced my plug wires they said that I have a small leak coming from the manifold. I notice a slight oil smell after a run lately but there doesn't seem to be any loss on the dip stick. The issue is the oil leak on a plug wire and eventually corroded it. What does that involve? Is it worth fixing?:confused

Leaking oil? Are you kiddin me? Yes, get it fixed--get it fixed ASAP!!! That burning oil smell is just what it is-oil dripping down on hot parts and burning. You let it go any longer and pretty soon you'll notice oil spots on the ground under the car. Trust me, I know. I'm looking for someone reputable to fix this on my Vette.Who are the "they" that you referred to? You said YOU replaced the plugs. Did you notice any oil drips or oil where it shouldn't have been? Maybe you spilled some during the plug change.:w

Intake manifold oil leaks are a common complaint on LT-1 engines. The intake manifold ends seal to the block front and rear "china" rails with a bead of silicone sealant from the factory which degrades over time resulting in a leak. If left unattended to it can eventually coat the entire underside of your car. Mine had the problem when I got it which the previous owner neglected to fix; the exhaust system and even the rear axle housing were covered in oil. Needless to say the first order of business was to fix the leak and get it up on four stands to clean the underside.

Leak

Get a small mirror and a light and look really good at the area on the back of the block. I thought my intake to block gasket area was leaking. I even bought a gasket set to fix it. I looked again and spotted oil dripping from the sending unit area below the dist. It was the fuel cutoff switch and it was leaking up thru the wiring boot and running down the bellhousing. $11.00 fixed it. Look again, it may save you some time and money.

Thanks for all the feedback I appreciate the advice. One question to Greg...Do I have a fuel cut off switch below the distributor in the back? I thought I had a opti spark distributor in the front under the water pump.

Get a small mirror and a light and look really good at the area on the back of the block. I thought my intake to block gasket area was leaking. I even bought a gasket set to fix it. I looked again and spotted oil dripping from the sending unit area below the dist. It was the fuel cutoff switch and it was leaking up thru the wiring boot and running down the bellhousing. $11.00 fixed it. Look again, it may save you some time and money.

My 94 has a slight drip as well. According to the maintenance sheets that came with my car it said the intake gaskets were replaced and then it started dripping from the front of the engine...I haven't been able to see exactly where. This sending unit appears to be about the right location....can you see /change/replace without removing all the stuff on the front of the engine?

More info please, Greg.

Have you checked your valve cover gaskets? A quality set of valve cover gaskets set me back about $35 and fixed the small oil leak I had on my LT-1 engine. I would replace those before I started messing with the intake.

I have cleaned the rear of the top of the engine and will examine it after a run this week to see if i can pin point where the leak is coming from. On thew good saidew of things after i changed my wires the cart is running great!

Degrading of the intake manifold to block "china rail" silicone bead seal is a common source of LT-1/ LT-4 oil leaks and should be investigated in all oil leak situations but there are other reportedly common sources of leaks that should be checked also. Valve cover gaskets are always suspect and the oil filter adapter has been in the news a lot lately too. Your mileage may vary.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom