Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oil Level Check

L

lelandschultz

I own a 93 coupe (my first vette and only 1 month old) and want to know what is the best way to check oil level. Even after sitting for a couple of hours, there is oil up and down the stick and it is very hard to tell if I am low or exactly what the level is?

Its a good idea to let the car sit for a while before checking the oil, provided that it has been driven long enough to be up to operating temperature.

Dipsticks are subject to "capillary action" in that the oil will somehow climb up the dipstick after a certain period of tiime giving a slightly false reading. All you have to do is wipe the dipstick with a rag & reinsert, remove & red the level. The dipstick has all the info you need on it. Also you can refer to the owners manual.:)

Oil Check

I have done what you have asked - as this is normal. It still has oil on it and a clump near the bottom. It always looks like it needs some added even after an oil change by the Chevy dealer.

Re: Oil Check

lelandschultz said:
... a clump near the bottom.

A clump on the bottom! :eek Sounds like routine oil changes weren't part of the maintenance plan eh? A clump would indicate a sludge build-up.

_ken :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom