Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oil Pan advice needed

cwerve74

Corvette
1974 454MT red conv
Need advice from some seasoned person. Let me give you some background first. Bought the car Oct. My plan was 1st winter do suspention/brakes/steering & rubber parts. 2nd winter engin/tran & interior 3rd winter paint. Drive it in the good weather. Engine make a lot of horse power and does not leak.
I have discovered that the oil pan has a rather large dent. See picture. Kind of like this car may have been off-roading. I have a decision to make but don't feel qualified.

Questions: Is this dent going to cause a functional problem?

Can I remove the pan and pound out the dent? Could replace. found new on the web for $150-200 plus gasket.

Does the dip stick just come down with the pan or does it separate?

What to do let it go or fix now? What other issues do I face?

Looks like you can tap the dent out with a hammer & a block of wood. Check your oil pump pickup for possible damage & make sure it is in the proper position after the dent is removed. I believe about 1/4 -3/8" off the bottom of the pan is about right. It may have gotten moved or damaged when the impact took place.

Hey CW, Doesn't look to bad from here. I have had oil pans that look like that and I know I never took it off the road. Speed bumps, high curbs who knows. If you're going to take it off to pound it out you might as well replace it. I have bought them on ebay for $40.00. Then check the pickup position while it's off. You could change out the oil pump while you're at it. Rear and front seal. New balancer, Timing gears, cam, lifters, push rods, roller rockers, heads, intake, carb,,,,,, See how it starts. I need help. peace Bud

c-74, looks like you already have some good advice. If you don't hear any knocking noise and oil pressure is maintained, it's probably OK. If you decide to drop the pan, no easy job, you can tap the dent out as mentioned. If you decide to go the tapping route, you can finish the outside cosmetics with an application of JB Weld. This stuff is so strong you can drill and tap it. Apply and sand as necessary. Don't confuse it with bondo, different animal. I have used it sucessfully on a similar application and many more. Don't let the cosmetics of the damage dictate the repair. Look for a functional impairment. If the engine only sees street use, it may not know the difference.

Where is the oil pick-up located in the pan? 454 CUID Only the left side has the dent. Right side looks OK.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom