Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

oil pan

delorenzos

Corvette
1963 Daytona Blue Convt.
I just installed a power steering system on my 63. Does anyone know if I would have a problem if I don't have the oil pan for power steering. I didn't even realize that there was an ps oil pan. It doesn't seem as though there is any interferance with the oil pan I have.

Do you have the original engine in your car? My understanding is that the solid lifter engines (340 and 360hp) have a pan that holds an extra quart of oil, and extends downwards a bit more in the front section (than the 250 and 300 hp hydraulic lifter engines), and will/may cause interference. Probably for that reason, the power steering option could only be ordered with base and L75 engines in 63 (and besides, someone ordering the car for high performance didn't want extra accessories robbing that engine power).

I think, too, that the linkage moves a bit because it is partly attached to the unsprung suspension (A-arms), so a static clearance that looks adequate in the garage may not be adequate on the road when the A-arms hit their upper bump stops.

My car has the 300hp engine, so I suppose it isn't a problem then. Thanks for responding

By the way I just finished installing the pw steering last night .....what a difference.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom