Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oil Pressure Gauge @ 80

Freods

Corvette
1998 Carmine Red Coupe
I noticed my oil pressure gauge was pegged at 80 (DIC reading of 129). Took the vette to the dealer and he said the sending unit needed replaced after he tested for shorts. He also said they had to pull the manifold and do some other stuff to get to it. They wanted $500 for the job. These guys have been great to me over the years and have a good reputation for working on vettes. Is this reasonable? Could just changing the oil maybe clear something at the sending unit? BTW this is the first non maintenance repair on my 98 after 68,000 miles.

Freods said:
I noticed my oil pressure gauge was pegged at 80 (DIC reading of 129). Took the vette to the dealer and he said the sending unit needed replaced after he tested for shorts. He also said they had to pull the manifold and do some other stuff to get to it. They wanted $500 for the job. These guys have been great to me over the years and have a good reputation for working on vettes. Is this reasonable? Could just changing the oil maybe clear something at the sending unit? BTW this is the first non maintenance repair on my 98 after 68,000 miles.
YES IT IS MORE THAN LIKELY THE SENDING UNIT ,THE PRICE IS A BIT TOO HIGH PART IS 35.00- 55.00 AND TAKES ABOUT 2 HOURS FOR A CORVETTE TRAINED MECHANIC.

That is a fairly common repair item. There have been multiple posts about that. I have also read that a moderately skilled shade tree mechanic can do the job.

DRTH VTR said:
That is a fairly common repair item. There have been multiple posts about that. I have also read that a moderately skilled shade tree mechanic can do the job.

I agree. I replaced mine with a Standard Motor Products PS-308 (from RockAuto.com) over a year ago for the same reason.
That $500 price is waaaaay too high!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom