Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ok..im shopping for an old corvette....

S

shanonm13

heres another corvette that is a '79, 3500 miles on the second engine..new battery, starter, and the person is asking $4500.

what do you guys think???

The Choice has to be Yours!!

Let's face it .. there are 50 years of different (only slightly in some cases!) model years to choose from. You have to get the one that meets your needs and makes you the happiest at the price you can afford.

Any Vette is better than no Vette tho' !!

Everyone has different tastes, income, priorities, wives (oh, what has that got to do with it??)

As NIKE said.. Just Do It

I saw an old buddy of mine at a car show last week.He and his son have restored several corvettes in the past.We all agreed that in buying a corvette now,one of the things to consider highly is finding a car with a very good body and paint work already done.The price of getting a good quality paint job is getting very steep.I was lucky in finding my 81.It has an excellent paint job but it did need some mechanicals.A good paint job runs 5-8 thousand now adays.You can get alot of mechanicals done for that kind of dough.These are just my thoughts on corvette buying these days.Good Luck and Happy Hunting.:upthumbs

BURGLAR said:
I saw an old buddy of mine at a car show last week.He and his son have restored several corvettes in the past.We all agreed that in buying a corvette now,one of the things to consider highly is finding a car with a very good body and paint work already done.The price of getting a good quality paint job is getting very steep.I was lucky in finding my 81.It has an excellent paint job but it did need some mechanicals.A good paint job runs 5-8 thousand now adays.You can get alot of mechanicals done for that kind of dough.These are just my thoughts on corvette buying these days.Good Luck and Happy Hunting.:upthumbs

I would have to agree with BURGLAR on the cosmetic part. You can definitely follow the guide on mechanical repairs and you likely have mechanical buddy's to help you do anything if needed. But paint work is a totally different story. It's not cheap and you're not likely to have the hardware handy. 5-8 grand could actually get you a 'Vette!

Interior pieces are quite expensive as well, especially the leather seats.

One thing you can never say to yourself is that you let one get away. There is a Corvette out there for everyone!

Hey, good thing I took body and paint classes! now I can do my own work:_rock.
About that 79 for $4500 let me tell ya, if you don't buy such a deal, your dumm, cause you can sell it right after for double the money! Man go for it and see if you like the car, you've got to grow a taste for corvettes, once you own one, you'll love it!
Paul

vette buying

I bought my 74 from a friend for 6,500 1 year, 1 month ago. Since that time I have been keeping a spreadsheet of every dollar I put in the car. I have done all the work myself and i'm up to around 15,000. I never look back though, I have a classic car that gets drooled on. Had teenagers fighting at a parade to ride in mine over a 50,000 vette. The UPS guy stops at my house first, just to see what I bought new for her. I agree with the others, You seem to be getting a good deal, and owning a vette is a great thing in life! My wife tells me to go drive my vette when in a bad mood, and I always come home happy.

My advice (hey...it's free, but I've lived it.)

1) Don't settle for the first one you see in your price range. There are tons of vettes out there for sale. Be patient (as hard as that is when knowing that you WILL have a vette soon). There is always going to be another one that you like a month or two down the road.

2) Get the year you want. If you don't care, then research various years, options, problems, etc., and narrow it down to at least a 3-4 yr span.

3) Buy the best one you can afford. Unless you've won the lottery, don't buy a junker then plan on fixing it up. One of two things will happen. You'll spend 5x more fixing it up than if you had just bought that nice a car in the first place. Or two, it'll start as a project car and likely stay that way for the next 10 years until the old lady complains enough about it being in the garage and to finish it or get rid of it :eyerole

4) Check the frame for rust. If there's rust...pass. Unless the car is free.

5) Ask for receipts of everything that's been done. most people that fix up vette's for themselves keep all the receipts, just for this reason (should they want to sell the car and the next guy asks for them.)

6) Ask to take the car to a mechanic that you trust and preferably one that knows vettes. If the seller balks, you gotta wonder why he/she would object?

7) Don't let your enthusiasm cloud your better judgement

IMHO

Know what you're looking for. The differences in model years is significant. If it's a shark then choose carefully. These cars are old and the best of them need constant attention, so choose wisely. As others have mentioned, the $$$$$ adds up quick even when doing your own work. If it's a daily driver you want then I would expect tp pay in the 10k+ range to turn the key and go. If your looking for a project ,as E80 said, be prepared for the long haul(which by the way is quite rewarding). In either case, be patient and find the car that fits your expectation and your budget.
Good Hunting:cool

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom