Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

One Down

Rowdy1

Corvette
1962 CORVETTE-SOLD 2004 Z16 Z06 CE
Two to go. I finished the conversion on the Richmond Gear Super T-10 last week but with the weather being what it was, didn't get much of a chance to drive it. This weekend will be different with temps in the high 40's to 50. My next project is to install the roller bearing kingpin setup I bought and a front end alignment. After that is complete, the front disc brake conversion will be the task at hand.

Looks like you will be busy for a while how about some pictures?:cool

Lou,

I'll be interested in any improvement in steering effort you experience after the roller bearing kingpin conversion. Who's disc conversion are you using?

Tom

I'll Do My Best

I barely had room for my fingers doing the trans swap. The biggest thing was making the new linkage from two different shift kits. I laid everything out on the bench and ended up using parts from both, extending the threads on the rods and grinding and welding the rest of it. I took my old shifter handle, cut it down and drilled it out to fit. It's now about 5" tall with a curve to the back. I'll try to get a couple shots of it tomorrow. The only thing I didn't do yet was cut out for the ash tray. In the stock console, it's actually a pocket that the chrome trim for the boot and shift indicator fits in to. The kink pin set up came from Stainless Steel Brake and the disc conversion is from Tom Hauslin from Fla. I've talked to him a few times, great people, he actually makes the conversion sold in some of the more popular supplier's, less about $150. He said an hour a side, if it takes any longer than that, call him or sell my tools. I "hope" to have both done for Auburn.:bang

Can't waite to see it.

lou is this the conversion that uses pinto rotors and bearing parts i have been holding off because of bad press on these . how you been liked that e-mail you sent couldn't hold a candle to that guys ability steve:_rock :beer :w

Pinto?

You've REALLY thrown me for a loop now. I hardly think it's what you're talking about. I was in contact with a guy from three years ago that put this conversion on a 58 with a big block that's strictly 1/4 mile and he was VERY happy. It's the exact same thing you get from the after market dealers listed here on a regular basis. Difference is, I bought it from the manufacturer, before the high $$$ magazines got it. The bearings are Timpken rollers, if my memory serves me right, it has Chevelle rotors, like 14" or something. Now I have to drag everything out and read up on it even before I'm ready to do it. Thanks Steve!!!:(

if it has chevelle rotors it probably is not the same kit the one with the pinto rotors were prone to bearing failure they were to small for the weight of the car steve

Can you give me (us) a little more detail on the transmission swap. I'm wanting a 5 or 6 speed in my 63 but the kit that I looked at was $2,800. Do you know what will fit in a 63 and how tough the conversion is? I would really appreciat the help. I just did a front disc conversion from SSBC and I'm pretty happy with the results.
Thanks

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom