Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Only Ontario Orange Corvette for 1970 code 991

8kgold69

Corvette
1969 R.Gold CV. Original 8K miles. Pilot 1970 LT1
Gentleman

I am in the process of researching a 1970 Ontario Orange Corvette Coupe with paint code 991. I have read some articles stating that this color option was planned for 1970 but due to complication with the painting process the color was cancelled. However, the color option was listed in the dealer brochures as code 991, but because of the painting problem Chevrolet changed the color to Poly Bronze code 993. This information is noted in the Vette Vues Facts book. Then for 1971 the color Ontario Orange was available with color code 987. Therefore, it is believed that this is the only 1970 Corvette painted Ontario Orange with paint code 991. There are some other unique characteristics about this car also. First there are some dates located on the body panels that read July 19,1969. I believe these to be mold dates. (1970 had a body changed with reference to the fender flares). On the underside of the rear deck, just above the gas tank, in grease pencil, it reads " PILOT JOB" followed by some initials. The trim tag in the drivers door jam gives a built date of Oct 23, 1969, along with the paint code 991. 1969 cars were still being built at this time due to the strike between the union workers and Chevrolet. Another interesting fact is that this car is an LT-1 coupe. The car is equipped with power steering, power brakes, power windows, tilt-telescopic steering column, alarm system, deluxe leather interior, and headlamp washers. The car was sold at DeNoorer Chevrolet in Kalamazoo, MI in the fall of 1970. The person who purcahsed the vehicle was a part-time employee that worked in the parts department. He purchased the car because he had just sold his 1968 convertible. Winter around the corner and he determined he was not going to freeze again. The buyer was a young man that was studying to be an aircraft mechanic, his named Jon Coe. There also was a salesman who worked at the dealership and his name was Jay Hartgerrink. I was told, he was the Corvette salesman. I also understand that Mr. Coe was into autocross racing and set this car up to run the courses. Mr. Coe was a member of the Kalamazoo Corvette Club and a member of NCCC. I was told that he raced it at MIS (Michigan International Speedway) and ran it at DIS (Daytona International Sweedway) during NCCCs national convention in 1976. Friend of Mr. Coe, named Jim Roberts, who also is a Corvette enthunist, raced with him at some of the local tracks. From hear say, Mr. Coe was a pretty good driver and won numerious trophies. In 1976 the car was parked in a barn type building. Then in 2001 some tornatos came throught the Kalamazoo area and damaged alot of buildings and homes. The Corvette was in a building that received heavy damage but did the car substain minual cosmic damage. This car was featured in Corvette News, issue Feb/Mar 1970. On the cover of CN is an orange Corvette coupe sitting in a driveway at night, idling with the parking lights on and there is a building in the back ground with the inside lights on. On the very back cover of the magazine is the same car sitting in front of the "Sun'n Snow Ski Shop". There is a street sign that reads WEISS LOUNGE and some people looking at the car. Clearly visable is Michigan license plate tags on the car that read LYZ-193. The article, The Corvette That Was Worth the Wait, was written by Karl Ludvigsen, former editor of Sports Car Illustrated magazine and author of the Corvette book America's Star-Spangled Sports Car. This article is about testing the first LT-1. His last statement in the article is "It may take a while to get one, but you can be sure it will be worth the wait." Folks I would sincerely appreciate any information, contacts, PICTURES, racing articles, etc... about this car. WITH ALL THIS COMPUTER POWER AND CONTACTS SOMEONE HAS TO REMEBER SOMETHING ABOUT THIS CAR. AN ONTARIO ORANGE COUPE LT-1 BUILT AMOUNG THE 1969 PRDUCTION LINE. THE MICHIGAN LICENSE PLATE TAG LYZ-193, IF SOMEONE COULD FIND OUT ABOUT THE REGISTRATION ON THAT PLATE, THAT WOULD BE A HELP. SEEMS THAT A CAR LIKE THIS WOULD HAVE TO STICK IN SOMEONE MEMORY, ONTARIO ORANGE, 1ST LT-1 BUILT, TESTED BY KARL LUDVIGSEN IN EARLY WINTER IN ORDER TO MEET THE DEAD LINE FOR THE MAGAGZINE TO HINT THE MAG RACKS BY THE FIRST OF JANUARY 1970. The car has been in Kalamazoo, Michigan all its life, raced, tested and written about. I am asking for help from the Corvette world to document this cars history. This car is an important piece of history for Chevrolet. I am willing to make telephone calls, write to people, email anything to gather the correct info to document this car. The VIN number is 194370S40006.

post this over on the www.NCRS.org board as there are some people over there from GM who know a lot about this type of stuff

Very interesting story, good luck with your search! I'm going to show this to a friend who owns an Ontario Orange '71. He'll get a kick out of it.

Thanks for posting and again good luck.
Jane Ann

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom