Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Opinions needed. 72 body off resto or not.

S

Sunstroked

A little background. I'm a 2 corvette owner, I've had a 92 for over 5 yrs now. It's pretty much stock except for a few enhancements. I've done all mechanical work myself, and drive the car often. As I believe corvettes were meant to be. My day job is an aircraft mechanic. Been doing it for almost 30 yrs.

Now, my new vette is a 72 coupe. A desert car. It has the base 200 hp engine, 4 spd muncie, deluxe interior with factory air conditioning.This car has lived it's life in the dry CA and AZ weather. It also hasn't been started since the early 90's. It still wears the original lacquer Elkhart green paint, although it is severely checked and looks really bad. The engine trans and diff have never been out of the car. The doors still close and latch without slamming. The engine is going to be removed, disassembled, overhauled and kept pretty much the way it was built. I will probably up the hp a bit, but nothing dramatic. lets call it refreshed. Trans and diff, same thing.

Now the opinions I'm seeking. I want to bring this car back as original as I can. Think ncrs judged. The frame has mild surface rust in some places and factory coatings over most of it. Dirty yes, rust not so much. All rubber is shot and needs replacing.
For those that have, would you remove the body to bring it back to life, or just remove the components from the car to overhaul it? I'll just let the opinions come in before responding. Thanks, Kevin, aka Sunstroked.

Ncrs....

If your going to have it judged and looked at by a guy with a pencil and clipboard that is going to count the rows of threads in your seatbelts, I would go frame off for sure.
If your making it cherry for yourself to go out and hit a few cruise nights,turn a few heads, make yourself smile......then leave it and go frame on restoration.

My opinion....Chas

My 2 Cents Worth

I haven't done any Corvettes before although I have done some other cars.

If I was going to do the car, I'd take the body off and do it that way. You get to see everywhere on the chassis and can clean all the dust/dirt out and it's easier to redo any steel lines (if they run on the chassis and need doing) and easier to drop the power train in place.

May as well do it right the first time.

Before you touch anything- join the NCRS and bring your car out to a meet. Many original, unrestored 'Bowtie' beauties have been lost forever by listening to misguided advice givers.

It's only original once.

Yes, vettehead Mikey, it is original only once. And this is why I am seeking opinions. I am going to join ncrs this week, but driving the car is not an option until I go thru the engine. Im going to get the ncrs book for the 70-72. I live near phoenix and have been attending the big auto auctions for several yrs. Seems that original cars bring better money than modified vettes. I will be using this car to attend car shows and the occasional pleasure drive. My 92 is a killer auto cross car, the 72 will not be. I have the space, the technology, and the time to do a body off, but should I?

I have the space, the technology, and the time to do a body off, but should I?

You're the only one that can decide that- it's your car. Make up your mind only AFTER you've decided whether you want to go the NCRS Flight Judging route or the NCRS Bowtie route- or neither. Either NCRS route takes a huge investment of time and money and is not for the faint of heart.

In your description above I see no reason to undertake a frame off and especially not in a hurry.

I agree with Mikey. The worst thing you could do would be to pull the trigger too early. Your car may not need a frame off restoration.

Good advice about joining the NCRS.

:thumb

Yep, taking my time to decide is a wise choice. Defining my overall goals, and a budget. I will pull the engine and trans next week, roll it out of the garage and thoroughly clean and evaluate the chasis before making a decision. I also realize this is not a rare car, but a great hobby car. I won't be afraid to tour in it or take it on car cruises with our local vette club etc. The reason I bought this car is simple, decent price, never taken apart before and totally original. That and I love the body style.

Yes it is only original once! Don't make a quick decision. What do you really want when it's all said and done?? How do/would YOU enjoy/use it?

Maybe selling an unmolested original car to the right person and buying another toy car to restore, show, resto mod, race, drive and play with is desireable.

There are many ways to enjoy Corvettes, and there are different reasons to own the variety of years and styles.

Enjoy!

For the most part, I'm going to enjoy it. Drive it when it's not raining, lol, I live in a desert. At 1 point I wanted to build a vette rod from an unoriginal car. Like put a c4 suspension under it, drop in an lsx etc, but I have a c4 that I've upgraded with a sport suspension pkg. There is a mt rd that begins a few miles from my house, I know it quite well. When I looked at this car, the wheels started turning in my head. Bring it back as it was. I'll try not to stray to far, 200 hp is a bit weak for me so that will change. But mostly internal. It's not gonna be a street fighter either. Just an all around good looking stock c3 that will turn heads in it's originality and condition.

Well the decision has been made. Too many parts that I want to inspect, clean or replace with the body on. So I've been busy. I completed the body dolly and my boys are coming over on memorial day for a BBQ/body lift. I appreciate the input, and will keep updating my project as it progresses.

I hope to see it at the Pavillions soon!

I hope to make it to the pavilions with this car this winter. Darn it, now i just doubled the time it will take. Lol. I removed the body today, it went fairly smooth considering I did it alone. I didn't have it ready for Monday when the boys were over. So, stubborn as I am I removed it today. The tank sticker is there but in a flakey condition. I'll try and preserve it, but doubt I'll get much info from it. I'm going to start with the chasis cleaning and restoration. The engine will go to a shop that I have heard good things about, and I checked them out last yr when contemplating an overhaul of the lt1 in my 92. These cars sure are simple by today's standards. The body sits on my dolly very nicely. All bolts except for the aft body bolts came out without a hitch. The captured nut in the body spun, so I had to cut the heads with a high speed wheel. The frame is dirty but really remarkably free of any severe corrosion, even in the trouble spots that I have read about. The desert is a great place to store a car. I'll post some pix as soon as I download them to my other computer.

Great progress:upthumbs

Your situation is similar to mine. Got a '73 2 years ago that hadn't been started in 16 years. After everything I have done, either because I wanted to upgrade or it was neccessary when I got the car or it became apparant after some use, knowing then what I know now I would've done the body off. Suspension, brakes, trani work, engine compartment detailing, exhaust all would've been easier AND I could have replaced the 37 year old body mounts. That said, everyone is different so enjoy your resto and good luck!

I did the frame off, but mine is no where near original. I did my 80' for me, to make it the way I wanted it from the ground up. :beer

How hard is it to take the body off?

It's a major undertaking, requiring a lift, a hoist, or about ten buddies, and a body dolly to set it on when you're done. See photos below and the Body Lift Checklist.

:beer

View attachment Body Removal Checklist.pdf BodyDollySL3.jpgLIFT2.jpg

In answer to how hard is it to remove the body, well it depends on how motivated you are. I make my living turning wrenches on airplanes. So a little ole corvette is gravy. Seriously, to me it is enjoyable work. It's not hard, just time consuming. Still waiting for the engine shop to get back with me on how everything checked out, I'm going to rebuild the stock engine very mildly. Most vette owners buy originality, down the road if I keep this car and want more power, I'll put in a different engine and save the original as is. I have completed the work to the frame. It wasn't twisted or anything but had a couple of areas where jacks had been placed over the years and dented the trans cross member and the bottom of the engine cradle. I am taking the bare frame along with a arms, radiator core support etc to get sandblasted and powdercoated, should have that done by the end of next week. Things will slow down as I order parts and begin assembly of the chasis.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom