Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Opinions wanted for best year for Vette.

1989 406

Corvette
1989 406
I would like to hear some opinions about what year Vette they thought was the best overall (performance, handling and reliability) 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988 and 1989. We had an 89 and got out of it with about 28,000 on it. I also remember hearing that the 1985 Vettes had the least amount of emissions and were the fastest, but because they were the first year for the TPI, curious as to problems related.

Thanks,

Dean

Welocme to the Corvette Action Center......I sold my C-4 to buy a C-3 so I don't have a response for the C-4. Others will come in with some answers.....Enjoy ....

1989 BLOWNCONV VETTE said:
I would like to hear some opinions about what year Vette they thought was the best overall (performance, handling and reliability) 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988 and 1989. We had an 89 and got out of it with about 28,000 on it. I also remember hearing that the 1985 Vettes had the least amount of emissions and were the fastest, but because they were the first year for the TPI, curious as to problems related.

Thanks,

Dean

as far as drivability and realiability the newer the better

for handling, if you can get your hands on a Z51 car 84 was best but not on your list... so, it depends on your needs over-all. I would still say the newer the better on that too, and if you want to AutoX you will need an upgrade anyway on 20 year old parts.

Performance is also newer = better. 1985 may have been more simple, but had cast iron heads and less power than the later years.

loaded question here. but evey year improvements were made and the vette always gets better every year. but we all like ours for some reasons. you have to ask yourself if your willing to carry on the torch of keeping one going for a few more years.

Besides the good points others mentioned, newer is better etc... It depends on what you want in the car... 88 saw an improved suspension... the 6 speed came in 89... 90 saw a better grade of wire insulation, a new dash and other upgrades... 96 became OBD II compliant... All C4s are a great value from a performance perspective if they are in good condition... you just need to figure out what it is you want in a C4...
What stands out to me ? ZR-1s, any year... 96 LT4 equipped cars, and 1989 FX3 optioned 6 speed coupes because I still like the old digital dash...
Did that help narrow it down ? :D

"Best" is really a subjective term, it depends on what you like. 85-89 were all pretty much the same. I've only ever owned early C4s, so to me they are the "best" in terms of style, performance, and handling. The later c4s handle pretty much the same but have more power, which is fine and all, but my preference is for the early body style. Drove a C5, didn't like the marshmallow Buick ride. I have yet to drive a c6. I love my current ride and will keep it forever, so to me it's the best. The other day a guy at Checker ran up to me and asked me if I wanted to sell it, when this happens it makes me want to keep the car even more.

The reason I asked this question about the better year is this: My father had bought a new 1989 Convertible Vette, we supercharged it, water injected it, ran roller rockers and a Dana rear with a 3.73. The car went down the track at 12.8 @ 6 PSI and 12.19 @ 8 PSI on street tires. It was a hell of a car. You had to see the look on Grand National owners faces, they did not know what smoked them.

My father hurts his back one day, goes and trades it in on a Town Car. I swore if I ever came across that car again, I would buy it. As you can guess we crossed paths again in different states. The car is showing 59,000, I ran Carfax and it was legit (not saying the speedo could not have been disconnected).

We checked it over and noticed new gaskets and someone was into the motor. Oil was leaking on the exhaust from the head gasket. After finding out that "the injectors were clogged, possibly fuel dripped onto one of the pstons and burnt a hole in it, so they tell me". They put a new one in. Then when I drove it I found out the car had a bog in it. The supercharge was putting out about 6 PSI. Found out that the head got warped and reshaped and put back on. No new head installed.

The car is suppose to be torn down next week and fixed "right". My thoughts are that I could probably pull off the sale of the car, but cannot afford any major problems.

I really wanted to get it as it turned the clock back 16 years. I am going to drive it again to see how it rides. Everything else is clean and works. If I do not get this one, I was thinking of getting an 85-89 from a private owner and supercharging it.

Any thouhgts would be real helpful.

Thanks,

Dean

Personally, I likethe 91 for two reasons.

1. I prefer the L98 over the LT1, and the General just about made the L98 as perfect as he could for 1991.

2. The 91 has the late model C4 bodystyle.

Best of both worlds!:upthumbs

Best? no such thing.... My 85 fits me very well I really love the L98. no real problems in 124,000 miles (I got it around 100,000), I love the 4+3 but I have heard parts for the tranny are hard to come by. I think it is faster than my 94, before I get shot my 94 is a convertable and 500lbs heavier. It does not have ABS or ASR. it handles very well, but it is easy to get "behind" the car. My 94 is a convertable, rides well, handles well, doesn't complain and with ASR and ABS a much more friendly car to drive....

If I was into mods I think I would start with a Vette with the Lt1, more hp to start with

My 85 with the Z51 handles better and IS faster than my friends 94.. The faster you go the better it seems to handle.. I have another friend with a 2000 but I havent pushed it like I have mine so I'm not sure, mine has a few mods and I'm not even sure if his is faster either.. Depends on what you want, but I do like things about the C5 too..

It really depends on what you consider as best. '86 saw aluminum heads, '88 saw the introduction of the bigger brakes and wheels. The later years saw the visual changes. Almost every consecutive year of the L98 saw a small power increase. Obviously, the '92 brought the LT1 with a large power increase.

Then again, when it comes to Corvette's, you can probably throw all that stuff out because someone has probably modified it in one way or another so you can get that '86 with aluminum heads and 17"x9.5" wheels, etc...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom