Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

OptiSpark ?

Zixxer

Corvette
1982 Red Coupe
FYI - I noticed that the previous owner did not reconnect the two lines to the OptiSpark when I detailed my engine so I had those items fixed at the car center while I was having the car checked over (I have a slight miss at idle). The ? is, do the vent hoses have anything to do with advance on the spark or are they strictly vents to allow moisture and such to be drawn out? I think it's the later but I want to be sure as the car center wants to hold off replacing my cats as they believe the lack of hoses being correctly installed on the optispark could have caused the P0430 and P1441 codes. Thoughts are comments are welcome.

PS I already have the cats.

You are correct. Venting draws out moisture and ozone.

Super, that's what I thought. After further discussion, the mechanic said the lack of one of the hoses being correctly installed was causing a vacuum leak, or incorrect air reading to be used, thus causing the system to adjust fuel based upon an incorrect air reading....seems to make sense now that we got into the details. I like to fully understand something as much as possible because I know we're often told things that aren't exactly true or technicians don't think we'll understand so they dumb it down. I do trust these guys and they've been real good to me so far but I'm in this for the understanding as well as the fun factor. Thanks Rick

Zixxer said:
Super, that's what I thought. After further discussion, the mechanic said the lack of one of the hoses being correctly installed was causing a vacuum leak, or incorrect air reading to be used, thus causing the system to adjust fuel based upon an incorrect air reading....seems to make sense now that we got into the details. I like to fully understand something as much as possible because I know we're often told things that aren't exactly true or technicians don't think we'll understand so they dumb it down. I do trust these guys and they've been real good to me so far but I'm in this for the understanding as well as the fun factor. Thanks Rick
Good luck, and I hope you get everything fixed ok.

Make certain that the intake manifold vacuum line running to the opti has 2 blue/white vacuum control disks in series. One is to limit the amount of vacuum (the opti draws VERY little) the opti draws from the intake manifold. I think it is a 2-way. If wide open you'll have a real nice vacuum leak causing your idle to suck. The second disk....duh, I can't remember what it does but you need it in there. Darn forgot!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom