Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Original L81 engine pic's..

Peer81

Corvette
'81 Black
Hello everyone,

I'm doing a body off resto on my 81 corvette. But to go to the subject..
My L81 engine has been redone inside and out. No major changes. The crankshaft was to far gone so i have a new one (still a 350) new pistons, a new Comp Cams cam, 1 new valve a new high flow oilpump and al the normal small things. I would like the have the outside of the L81 close to original but i don't have any picture's and i can't find them anywhere.
I put on some sparkplugshielding, i like them but i don't know if these are OEM or not?

If someone has picture's of a OEM L81 please post or email them so i can look for variable's between the two.

Here are some pictures of my L81 still in progress...

IMG_2860.JPG

IMG_2861.JPG

IMG_2862.JPG

IMG_2863.JPG

Greetings Peter.

I have an "81"...and did some pictures just before I repainted my valve covers. Lets see if I can rustle them up... I just took a look, and I've got to many to upload here. Do you have a "generic" mailbox I can send them to??

That would be great!
You could sent to 8mb to peter"dot"verbogt"at"home"dot"nl
just replace the "dot" for a . and the "at" for @ :)

Greetings Peter.

I only wish I could get mine that immaculate!

-gedmeyer[/quote]

I feel the same, but me I'll just have to dream. :W

Thanks for the compliments guys!
I got some nice L81 picture's from Fred so i can look for differences.

@Tim, when i know my crankshaft was gone i looked to your L81 -> 383 topic! Very cool and as i have read, it's how a L81 upposed to be :D If i didn't want to have a stock looking L81 i would have done the same!

Groeten Peter.

Tim, nice website you got there!
I thought you changed the short headers for other one's but i am wrong. I just love the looks of your rebuild rochester. I took apart my own (i had the time) but it isn't polished like yours. Are you planning to dyno it some day? I really would like to see the dynosheet of your 383.

Groeten Peter.

YOUR PHOTO'S

Peer81 said:
Hello everyone,

My L81 engine has been redone inside and out. No major changes. The crankshaft was to far gone so i have a new one (still a 350) new pistons, a new Comp Cams cam, 1 new valve a new high flow oilpump and al the normal small things. I would like the have the outside of the L81 close to original but i don't have any picture's and i can't find them anywhere.
I put on some sparkplugshielding, i like them but i don't know if these are OEM or not?

If someone has picture's of a OEM L81 please post or email them so i can look for variable's between the two.

IMG_2860.JPG

IMG_2861.JPG

IMG_2862.JPG

IMG_2863.JPG

Greetings Peter.

Wow, i'm really happy for you , i cannot wait to see the final result!!

GOOD LUCK, Rick

Sorry, I don’t have a source for pics... but I wanted to say that your progress looks beautiful!

B17Crew
:w

Peer81 said:
Hello everyone,

IMG_2860.JPG

IMG_2861.JPG

IMG_2862.JPG

IMG_2863.JPG

Greetings Peter.

Hello Peter..,

Quick question...in your last picture, there is a ground cable on the passenger side of the engine. Could you tell me what this is for ? and where does it attach at the bottom ? Congratulations on your great looking engine.
Regards....

Hello Rawj,

Thank you for the compliment. I've looked into my pictures and the groundcable is connected to the firewall directly behind cilinder no:8. I don't know its purpose but i'll just leave it there.

Greetings Peter.

Have any more photos of the project? Love the ones so far.

I know you posted this thread awhile back, but if you need any photos or anything from my wife's stock L81, let me know.

Thanks! :w

Hello,

I only update my project on dutch fora (because its i little to much effort to translate everything from dutch to english. But if you don't mind looking at dutch texts between the picture's, this is the link:

http://www.heartbeatforum.nl/viewtopic.php?t=5618&start=0

It's 23 page's already from the beginning about 2.5 years ago till the latest update a few days ago. Still a year or more to go. Enjoy!

Groeten Peter.

Hello everybody,

Here a quick photo update from my 81 body off project.
I hope to send the vette to the painter within 4 weeks. After that, a new rvs exhaust will be fitted under the vette and after that it will be send to an interiorbuilder to wrap everything in leather :) And to put a nice carpet in the vette because the original will no longer fit.
Enjoy the quick selection of photo's from the past 6 months.

IMG_3321.JPG

Polished vs. polished 6 months before.

IMG_3361.JPG

Powder coated goodies :D

IMG_3359.JPG

IMG_3360.JPG

Tinted glas. (very light)

IMG_3370.JPG

Wheelwell is ready to go.

IMG_3369.JPG

Altering the center console.

IMG_3376.JPG

Painting a door.

IMG_3378.JPG

Fan schroud ready to go.

IMG_3379.JPG

Cleaned the doorlocks.

IMG_3383.JPG

Cleaned, taken apart and put back together, ready to go in.

IMG_3432.JPG

Stripped the hood from all its paint.

IMG_3433.JPG

New center console taking form. All i did was raising the back of the center console about 2". And of course the handbrake part about 2 to 3". This also means to rais the gear selector and the handbrake. Now the side parts are welded to the transmissiontunnel so the cables can be put in very nicely. I leave a small piece open right under the center console (you can remove it just like the original) to excess the screw's of the center console and other stuff you want to get to. The carpet will be all the way up over the welded parts and the removable part will be finished with leather just like the dash.

IMG_3439.JPG

IMG_3440.JPG

IMG_3441.JPG

More paint removal.

IMG_3557.JPG

IMG_3558.JPG

Painted the floor and new center part.

IMG_3566.JPG

Returning parts to there original locations.

IMG_3567.JPG

IMG_3568.JPG

Putting nice 0.4" thick undercarpet in.

Body on day!
IMG_3570.JPG

Maybe not the usual way but the body is supported perfectly and you can control it perfectly!
Picture234.jpg

Picture241.jpg

Picture251.jpg

Picture253.jpg

IMG_3578.JPG

IMG_3580.JPG

Remaried! :D

Putting all cabletrees back in. (also isolated the center console)
IMG_3582.JPG

IMG_3583.JPG

IMG_3586.JPG

That's it for now, hope you enjoy the pictures :)

Groeten Peter.

WOW !!

That is excellent.. You are doing exactly what i would love to do to my car, if i had the time or the expertise. Take it apart and put it back together clean.. Cant wait to see the finished car.

:BOW :BOW

:w
-Stefan

I agree :BOW :BOW

That is ..... beyond description esp. all the custom work on the console :upthumbs

How about spending a few months here in Amarillo :D PLEASE ... purty Please...

Very Impressive :upthumbs ;)

Bud

Peter,

Awesome work! That is perhaps the most extensive restoration project I have seen on pictures. :upthumbs

GerryLP:cool

Very, very nice, Peter. :upthumbs

Good job, it will be nice to see the completed project. Good luck to you. What color will you paint it? Original?

Rick
:gap

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom