Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Original radio/CD problems...90 Coupe

Bob M

Corvette
1990 Coupe
My radio/CD Player has stopped functioning. My power antenna also stopped going up and down automatically, and now remains in the up position. I figure the antenna problem may control the radio but it shouldn't effect the CD Player.

Before the radio/CD completely died, it would occasionally emit an extremely loud high pitched tone from a rear speaker. It was not a pleasent experience to say the least.

Besides having to address the power antenna issue, what do you think will need to be done to the radio and speakers? Have any of you experienced anything similar? Will this mean replacing the original radio and speakers or could it be some other problem I may have overlooked?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Bob M.
North Attleboro, MA

Do you have the stock bose stereo? A quick search of the forum will show how many people have had this problem. It sounds to me like one of your amps blew, and as you know in a bose system each speaker is individually amplified. You can get the amps serviced or do what most people do and replace the whole stereo system

As for the antenna, it sounds like the ribbon is broken, a replacement ribbon/mast is available from all the major catalogs.

Thanks for that info, "tyrel". How difficult of a job is it to replace the stereo and speakers? Would I be better off replacing what's defective with original equipment or just bite the bullet and have it all replaced? I believe my radio/CD player is original. Also, would one blown amp attached to one speaker cause the whole system to fail? Is it difficult to replace the ribbon/mast re the power antenna?

Bob M.

Antenna Problems

Antenna Problems I have rebuilt my antenna. When you turn the radio off do you hear the antenna motor running? Lets pursue how the antenna works. The mast is connected to a plastic cable that has teeth on it. When the teeth are stripped out the antenna will not go up or down. Yes you can buy a mast repair kit. The easiest way I have found to fix the problem is to put the car on jack stands and remove the rear tire and inner fender. Then remove the bolts holding the antenna motor. Take particular attention to the location and orintation of the wires attached to the antenna motor. If you are handy with a digital camera take close up pictures of how things are routed. Unless someone else has done a mast repair to your Antenna you will have to carefully drill out the pop rivets that hold the cover on over the gear set. Be carefull because you will have to use some small sheet metal screws to reattach the cover. With the cover off you will find that some of the plastic drive cables is probable broken off and trapped in the gears. The mast kit should give you good instructions on how to install the new mast. I found it helpful to reinstall the antenna motor before installing the new mast. A note of caution here. When working on the antenna motor you find a very thin wire running towards the front of the car behind the inner fender panel you take off. Make sure you put this wire back correctly and do not break it. It is the ground plane wire. If the motor has failed you still will need to remove the antenna motor as discribed above then you will have to remove the rear speaker and other things inside the car to get to the antenna lead. I have not done that so I can't help you there. Good luck on this and feel free to PM me if you have any further questions.:)

I just wrote this for another post about headlight and antenna problems. I hope this will be helpful to you.:beer

john unless you want to keep your car stock, i would take out all the bose crap and get a good aftermarket setup that is what i did and it works perfect.crutchfield.com is a good place to buy. or if you dont wrench have a shop put it in

Stock

My Bose has been to Doctor Dons For 145.00 I have a radio that looks and sounds great in my car. Since I come from a time when all we had was scratchy AM radio and it would get static from power lines etc. I think the Bose is a work of art.

John Robinson said:
My Bose has been to Doctor Dons For 145.00 I have a radio that looks and sounds great in my car. Since I come from a time when all we had was scratchy AM radio and it would get static from power lines etc. I think the Bose is a work of art.

What John said!!! Now if I could only find a Reverbrator I would be in heaven!!

Randy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom